Confusion about Bible reading

by faundy 15 Replies latest jw friends

• faundy
    faundy

The society seems to make a huge thing about reading the Bible daily, and yet they have a problem when people do so without the 'aids' - i.e the publications.

So is Bible reading on its own frowned upon? I never did it anyway, it was boring. Give me any other good book and I'll be hooked.

• oompa
    oompa

the big sign on the big brooklyn building still says "read gods word the bible daily".......period........oompa

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

faundy - when I came to my senses about the faith - I told the elders straight - if you want to prove your doctrine to me now, do it with the bible and ONLY the bible - they did have a problem with it. They said I needed the publications to understand the bible better, my reply was that "I can no longer be told to just believe whatever is served up on a platter" So we either study it my way or......

...... well 2 months later I was disfellowshipped.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Notice that the Scripture says "All Scripture is inspired and beneficial". It doesn't say "All Scripture, together with the washtowels, is beneficial".

I see no practical purpose to read the Bible daily. Its message is not for us conscious thinkers anyway, and there are so many errors in the Bible that were put in at the source. Many were understanding errors, which effectively ruined the Bible. Others were put there on purpose because the Catholic Church had an agenda. Others were memory errors--would you remember details of events more than 20 years ago? And there are always transcription errors (generally the least significant).

As an alternative, I simply observe the most basic principles, that are so simple that small children automatically understand them. I do not need a Bible, let alone a Washtowel or Asleep, to tell me what to do and what not to do. Even when I need a Bible (for instance, to prove that the Washtowel does not follow it), I can look it up online and get the scriptures I need without having to go to any Kingdumb Hell (I threw away all my New World Translation Bibles, but I can still look it up on their own site).

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

My problem with the so-called legitimacy of the Watchtower is this:

They say that help is needed to understand the Bible. They have to use the "faithful and discreet slave class" to provide interpretation and understanding of scripture so that ordinary people can understand it.

My question is this: If God truly "inspired" this book to be for everyone, then why would he write it in such a way that only a select few people could actually make sense of it and then have them tell the rest of the world what it meant. What is the point in claiming ownership of the fact that the Holy Bible is the world's most distributed book when it turns out to be a tremendous waste of paper because nobody is fit to understand it anyway?

er

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

oompa:

the big sign on the big brooklyn building still says "read gods word the bible daily".......period........oompa

One of the big signs on the building says that, but the first sign you see as you cross the Brooklyn Bridge is the one below: alt And another one: alt

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I Think it was A@G that said.."Jehovah`s Witness`s are not a Bible based religion..They are a religion based on the the interpretations of the WBT$,about the bible"..................Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• snowbird
    snowbird

On my first visit to NY in 1969, I saw that sign as we crossed the Brooklyn Bridge. I was soooo impressed!

Little did I know that 3 years hence, I would be taken in by the slick appeal of living forever in Paradise the WT way.

Sylvia

• Pandoras cat
    Pandoras cat

A couple of weeks ago my family and I were shopping and on a bench in front of a store was the Watctower Mag. On the cover was the title "Can you trust the Bible?"---or something to that effect. My son looked at it and said "I guess we can't, but be sure and read this magazine and it will tell you all you need". Out of the mouths of babes!! It made me chuckle.

Meow

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

I guess reading the Bible independently (without WT literature near at hand) in the original languages may be frowned upon.

Bible reading has no priority. I think it's possible to enjoy good standing without reading the Bible daily. There's no control and meetings and field service are way more important.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit