Ugh! Horrible JW forward, only for the strong stomached

by metaspy 43 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

Whew! I thought it was going to be much worse. When I got to the part where the father goes into his daughter's bedroom, I thought, "Uh oh! This kid is about to be molested." Well, I guess she was, emotionally.

• nameless_one
    nameless_one

I wonder if "daddy" would have destroyed the little girl if she hadn't coughed up the necklace; seems they left that part out

• eddie c
    eddie c

I thought it was a great story with good principles and morals. The father obviously wants to teach his little girl to value things and so..................

Only kidding, i bet i had a few of you going there.

Eddie

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

"unnecessary friends"

that's an interesting expression... "thank you, bye, you are not necessary anymore, my friend".

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Stepping back a little, I find such stories highly interesting

- (1) for their "trans-sectarian" character: there are very few words to change for an Evangelical or Mormon "upbuilding" story to become a JW one, in spite of all claims of unique experience and exclusive relationship with "God" within each group;

- (2) because they often highlight the "sado-masochistic" core of religious psychology which is often swept under the carpet in public communication (believers want to look "normal," "happy" and "positive") but remains essential to the insiders' experience ("cross," self-sacrifice, self-renunciation and so on).

- (3) because (and this they have in common with many NT parables, e.g. the "sheep and goats" of Mt 25) they ultimately rest on a communicative paradox, which reflects the radical self-contradiction of the notion of "sacrifice and reward": in the above case, it is essential to the narrative that the little girl doesn't know that her father has got something better for her before she "gives up" what she has; but the story aims at making the reader know (or at least believe) that "God" has something better for him/her... which in turn rules out the possibility of really "giving up" as the girl in the story does...

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Ja I read it too. I have been doing a 1000 ab crunches a day - bring it ooooon!

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

Basically, the moral is..... "Hey, work REALLY hard for something you love, then some asshat will come along and tell you to give it to them! Oh, and if you give it to them, they might give you something better..... but maybe not. You don't know what you're gonna get until you sacrifice what you already have and you already love it." Sounds like a losing proposition to me! It all boils down to Pascal's Wager.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That means nothing. Jehovah never ever gives anything but heartache and trouble. You are supposed to give up your life, only to get absolutely nothing. This kind of story reminds me of the used car illustration where the son will not get the new car until he shows responsibility with the used one. Our present life is supposed to be the "used car".

In reality, Jehovah only wants to scam people into sacrifice of every kind. And the Washtowel Slaveholdery wants its huge cut as well.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the girl actually paid for the necklace with her own money. If the story were about the value of hard work, it might have merit. But she was guilted into giving up something she loved and worked hard to attain, without knowing she was going to receive anything in return.

• uriah
    uriah

That reminds me of a jw who really wanted to move to another town(which is crummy anyway so he was doing her a favour). She prayed to Jah but he didn't take the hint. to help her deal with the rejection she concocted a bizzar story that went: 'You know hwn you want a biscuit (biscuit = cookie for you USA folks)but your mum says it's too near dinner-time and it will spoil your appetite, well that is what jehovah is doing with me. He won't let me have a biscut - that is move to this town - so as not to spoil the paradise when it comes'. Yeah right, how cray is that. By the way can somebody explain what a forward is? Thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit