Book Club, July 08, A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

by TheSilence 15 Replies latest social entertainment

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I read this book in one day; I couldn't stop. I am amazed at Mr. Hosseini's ability to write so eloquently from both a male (The Kite Runner) and female perspective.

Justitia

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

I am almost finished reading "A thousand Splendid Suns" I will be finished later today. I started it on Saturday and its a easy read.

I read the Kite Runner last week.

Khalid Hosseini brings to life the thoughts and life of persons living in Afghanistan before, during and after the atrocities that went on there in the 1980's to 2001. Living in Canada/North America I was only hearing about what was going on in that country over the past 20 years but really had NO idea how bad it was for the people. I knew nothing of their culture or the various types of Afghan people. I knew nothing about the rich heritage they have had. This story enforces just how horrible the Taliban were and how it was to be a woman in those times. How not all men in that country were savages and that there are so much good in every culture.

I am not very good at explaining my thoughts. This story touched me deeply and had me looking up all kinds of information on Afghanistan.

Velvetann.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I havent had time to re read 1000 splendid suns... school just finished up Monday... and July is all but over...

A point made by Velvetann caught my eye and reflects what I was thinking:

This story enforces just how horrible the Taliban were and how it was to be a woman in those times. How not all men in that country were savages and that there are so much good in every culture.

This author, although writing fiction, certainly writes in a way to reflect the reality of the situation in Afghanistan... and women are still suffering in that part of the world... it is not the religion per se that reduced women to mere objects, but the way the men interpret the religion... although religion in general is not all that friendly to women.

I just finished watching the movie The Kite Runner based on the book by the same author Hosseini.... very sad that war is tearing that country apart even today.

I often wonder how we in America (or Canada, Australia, Europe, etc) would react if war were to come back directly on our shores. The last time it touched the US directly was WWII... in Hawaii... (though the Russians had subs directly off our other shores for years during the Cold War),.... how would we react to seeing our towns bombed, the women and young girls taken and raped, our belongings and households ramsacked and burned? I dont think mentally we are prepared for what the folks in Afghanistan live with daily.

Great book, lousy situation. Highly recommend both this book and Kite Runner....

Snakes ()

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Wow,

I did read the book, but just don't think that in depth when reading.

Something to think about.

Leslie

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

very sad that war is tearing that country apart even today.

To quote Charlie Wilson, "We f*cked up the end game." If you have not watched it yet, I recommend watching "Charlie Wilson's War." It is a great background piece that explains, in part, why the Middle East doesn't trust the US and why Afghanistan is STILL war-torn.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

One benefit of not having the internet at work is the amount of reading I'm getting done. I just read both "The Kite Runner" and "A Thousand Splendid Suns" in the last few weeks.

Both books made me realize how little I know of the way of life in war torn countries. The author made it easy to feel what these people felt: the terror, the guilt, even the jealousy.

I appreciate my life more after reading these books. I've been through a lot of shit in my life but nothing that compares to watching one of my own children starve. I've never had the paralyzing fear that they will step on a mine that blows off a limb or kills them while they are playing. I've never worried that they would be snatched off the street and forced to become a soldier. I was deeply touched by the characters in these books.

I am convinced that religion is the root of all evil.

"Imagine no religion....".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit