Why Is Drug Use So Rampant In The US?

by hamilcarr 50 Replies latest jw friends

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Why is it that seemingly enlightened and progressive European nations have such high suicide rates? Norway, Germany, Sweden,Denmark, Luxembourg,Austria, Switzerland, France, Belgium...all have higher (some MUCH higher) rates than the US. Eastern European nations have the highest suicide rates in the world.

If this question sticks in your throat, I'd invite you to start a well-documented thread on this issue. I'd be happy to comment on this.

This thread is on drug use and the US. There's no relation whatsoever between this problem and suicide in Europe.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    This thread is on drug use and the US. There's no relation whatsoever between this problem and suicide in Europe.

It doesn't stick in my throat, maybe in yours? No, this thread, as the original post makes clear, is on drug use in relation to other nations, which includes those of Europe. If it is rampant, it is rampant in relation to other countries, such as the Netherlands example. So no, other nations are fair game, and suicide risk is interlinked with drug use. Do you contest this?

BTS

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

If you have any documentation on the link between a higher suicide rate and lower drug use, ...

Turn on, tune in, drop out. Another US export product to solve European problems?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Religious weanies don't have the moral or emotional fortitude to just off themselves (god wouldn't like it), so they instead make everyone else miserable, and often turn to drugs or alcohol to prop themselves up for another miserable day.

It's an attitude of misery loves company (often found in church).

:p~

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Turn on, tune in, drop out. Another US export product to solve European problems?

Pardon me?

I tend to question the validity of the study. The four drugs in the study are alcohol, cannabis, tobacco, and cocaine

Cannabis use by country percentage of population, OECD stats: (The US is not the highest).

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/lif_can_use-lifestyle-cannabis-use

Cigarrete use by country, WHO states:(US did not make the list)

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_tob_cig_con-health-tobacco-cigarette-consumption

Alcohol consumption by country per capita in liters, the US comes in at #20 behind a lot of Euro nations:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/foo_alc_con-food-alcohol-consumption-current

I haven't found comparitive cocaine use but it is dropping in the US, and according to reports in the news it is rising in Europe.

There is also the issue of availability, cocaine production occurs in this hemisphere, and transshipment is easier with long undefended borders.

BTS

• The Nothing Man
  • BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Religious weanies don't have the moral or emotional fortitude to just off themselves

It is often an act of moral and emotional fortitude to keep on living despite the despair and misery. Suicide is escapism in many instances, not an act of courage.

BTS

• chickpea
    chickpea

had i been included in the survey
    i would have been a "positive for use"
    respondent in all four categories of
    alcohol, cannabis, cocaine and tobacco
    since the query about use/abuse
    is across a lifetime!!!

i am pretty sure i had wine at christmas time,
    i have not touched weed for over 18 years,
    it has been so long since i have done coke
    i cannot even remember when it was last
    in my circulation and as far as tobacco...
    i passively smoke when i have the misfortune of
    being in proximity to an active smoke....
    but i kicked my active habit/addiction 22 years ago...

can't unscramble the omlette...
    these statistics will include people
    many years sober and drug free

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    I tend to question the validity of the study.

You're blurting out nonsense and I guess you're probably intelligent enough to see it. If one honestly compares both methodologies, there's no doubt which study is most accurate.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I think that most of the problems in the US stem from drug abuse, from CarJacking, Murder, to child abuse. I think it's wrong to associate gun violence just on guns alone, most LEGAL gun owners are responsible, careful lawful people who would never gun down their neighbor or shoot kids at school. The United States has always had the right to bear arms, and not since the wild west days has it been so bad, but is it the problem of guns and bullets, or is it a much tougher issue at hand. Would there be a need for violence if there were tougher laws for those who commit crimes? Death sentence for drug dealer? I am for more strict laws FOR CRIMINALS not for law abiding citizens who make sure that every gun they purchase is legal, and enjoys our rights given to use by the constitution, however for those who choose to pick up a gun and use it to harm and break the law then we as a society should punish those who choose the wrong way. For those of you in other countries who think criminals can just walk in to a gun store in the US and just buy a pistol and go commit a crime, think about this most criminals who commit gun crimes do not use legal guns, they buy dirty guns on the street, they steal weapons because legally purchased guns can and will be traced back to them. Now if there were strict law on possesion and sale of stolen weapons maybe the crime rate would fall, but we are a society stained by drug abuse, most rual areas are now known for meth production, there is no longer feeling that small towns remind one of the good old days, at least not for me. My feeling is that most crimes can be traced back to addition.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit