Why Is Drug Use So Rampant In The US?

by hamilcarr 50 Replies latest jw friends

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

A recent study published in PLoS Medicine investigated drug use throughout the world.

This study presents novel data on the epidemiology drug use from representative, cross-national samples representing all regions of the world. Clear differences in drug use existed across the regions of the world, with the US estimated to have among the highest levels of both legal and illegal drug use among all countries surveyed. These differences may be closing in more recent birth cohorts, with higher levels of drug use seen among young adults across countries. Drug use is related to income, but does not appear to be simply related to drug policy, since countries with more stringent policies towards illegal drug use did not have lower levels of such drug use than countries with more liberal policies.

It may be a surprise that countries with a very suppressive drug policy report more cannabis and cocaine drug use than countries with a more 'liberal policy'. The Netherlands, for instance, often scorned at because of their 'all too soft' measures, has the lowest level of drug use in the countries surveyed.

So, why is it then that a seemingly flourishing world power like the US harbours most drug users in the world?

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

I think another relevent question is why does gun use seem so rampant in the US? I think this is related. It's strange too that the US has a high proportion of religious believers

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

I see what you're hinting at, but why would there be any relation? Most churches have adamantly spoken out against drug use.

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Hi Hamil , Just thinking that it's odd that a country has a strong religious conscience and yet huge drug,gun and other problems. Could it be a moral breakdown due to too much freedom seen as a right instead of a privelege?

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Interesting question. I think we'll have to wait for an answer until the eastcoasters wake up .

• inrainbows
    inrainbows

I think you have to factor in social factors.

The poorest 20% of people in the US have about half the income of the poorest people in the Netherlands.

Unlike people they have no real healthcare, no system of welfare to keep the wolf from the door. Go to an American city and count the number of homeless people and compare to a Dutch city (lots to approaching none).

The US systems is set up so there is 'freedom'. Freedom to be very poor and starve is what this actually works out as in practice. Although the system does mean the very richest are about 30% richer than the very richest in the NL, the cost to society is rampant crime and drug use due to a disenfranchised powerless underclass which simply does not exist in the NL or most modern Western European democracies.

The majority vote for this system as they are convinced by the lies of the elite that they will one day benefit from the freedom that allows an ultra rich elite, even though they are worse of than their fathers and more likely to end up poor than end up rich.

It's the biggest con in the world. Happy voting in November guys, but remember, the song remains the same.

Drug use in the US is a sign of a sick society.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Interesting observations! Drug use in the US doesn't seem to be restricted to the lower income class though, but, according to a study, it's rather a widespread problem in American society.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Have either if you actually been to the US?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Perhaps, because of a dissatisfaction w reality?

S

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Have either if you actually been to the US?

I don't see any relation to the topic at stake but I have already been in the US. Even in southern Florida (and I'm going back in september).

Tripping experience

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit