JW's and weddings

by nana1957 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nana1957
    nana1957

I am sure this has been discussed before, would appreciate anything on this

I was always under the assumption that a JW was not allowed to be an attendant in a 'worldly' wedding. Meaning that you would not be able to be a bridesmaid or groomsman if you were baptized. I have a nephew getting married who was brought up a JW, but never baptized, now living with a catholic girl. They think that his uncle and aunt will be able to be attendants in their wedding next summer. I hate to tell them, they will have to find out themselves. When my son got married this same uncle was not allowed to be a groomsman,,,not even an usher for the wedding and when the uncle got married my son's were not allowed to be in the wedding either as they were not bapitized, and we no longer were attending the KH.

So what's the deal?? And they can't be in the wedding( it will be at the brides parents home) why can't they be? I have been out for 14 years and it's been so long I can't remember anymore ( good thing, I am finally forgetting everything about being a JW)

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They have so many stupid rules, and they are not consistent from congregation to congregation. You might find a washtowel stating that it is OK to participate in a wedding outside the organization, only to find another two years later that blatantly contradicts the first. And the hounder-hounders could easily interpret "it is OK but we do not recommend it" as "It is forbidden" or "Even though the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger didn't forbid it, I am going to".

And that makes the God machines afraid to do anything. They might get away without any problem one time, only to get in trouble the next time. The Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger wants it that way, since they are not explicit about what is permitted and not and they want people to rely wholly on them for advice. And it gets them to spend more of their time out in field circus.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I really think it depends on how gung-ho the elders are. I knew of a baptized jw who was to be the best man at a wedding for a "worldly" couple. But the wedding never took place, because the bride and groom were killed just a day before the wedding. I've also heard that a baptized woman was strongly counseled by the elders in her congregation to avoid her unbaptized son's wedding, even though it wasn't in a church and a judge was officiating. The elders' view was that it was worldly association.

• nana1957
    nana1957

Well, my ex-father in law told my son, he would not attend his wedding IF it was in a church. It was held outdoors at a park, that was ok. Then he found out my daughter in law's cousin was a baptist minister and was going to marry them, he about had a cow!! He had to approve of the 'talk' the cousin was gonna give and my son, told him to stay home from the wedding. He said we are not JW's anymore, so if you don't like it then don't come to the wedding. His son is the uncle I spoke about. He was not allowed to be in the wedding. That was 7 years ago, and I am sure things are not changed, but then you never know. I just don't want my nephew to have hurt feelings when he finds out his uncle and aunt can't be attendants in his wedding.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

depends on the elders. i was removed as a servant because i didnt have my wedding in the kingdom hall. so its up to the men in your hall and their personal opinion.

• TinyDancer124
    TinyDancer124

Yeah, really must be up the elders. I didn't have my wedding at the kingdom hall either and no one even batted an eye. In fact, most people told us what a great idea it was to have our wedding and reception in the same facility.

• dogon
    dogon

My brother was not allowed to be in his cousins wedding, He was not baptized, Now that marrage has ended in divorce, as so many dubbers have.

My grandfather who was an elder told me that witness marrages held up much better than nodubber marrages. What a load of $hit. Not true. I can count 16 divorces of dubbers, and if they have a union that lasts, it is gods org. that did it, and if a divorce, satan is working over time against dubbers, heads I win tails you loose.

Dubbers are room temp I.Qs and it is best to keep away from them, they are like toxic waste, you can not be around it an not harm youself.

You can only keep away from the toxin.

One of the big reasons I moved from North Michigan and the Babcock family is becasue of how blindly stupid these idiots are,, covering up for people they like who smoke, cheat on spouces, and the like. The Babcock family crazy goes way back when my uncle Dick and his wife Ella raped a girl and the old Wolverine congergation covered it up and paid the girl off, this is but one in a long line of stupidity that goes on in a cult.

Keep away from Jehovah's witnesses or any religion for that matter. They have only one thing in mind, getting your money and you to blindly believe in talking snakes. Life is short and you do not need to believe in fairy tales to have a good one.

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

The problem, in my opinion, is the stupidity of their authority ranking system.

In the world of the Watchtower, the GB makes the rules. They come out with a Watchtower that tells you that doing this particular thing or that particular thing is a "matter of conscience."

But they already have other Watchtowers that state that you should be "loving" and "yield" to your local congregation elders because that is acting in the best interest of "Jehovah's Organization."

So they give the appearance of sounding somewhat understanding and realistic but at the same time they are not when their local lackeys threaten to disfellowship you because you are bucking their authority.

er

• StAnn
    StAnn

Hmmm. My sister (a super-JW) was a bridesmaid for a friend, not a JW. The wedding was in a park. The elders said that, if a JW was getting married in the KH, only baptized JWs could be in the wedding party. However, if a non-JW was getting married~and not in a church~it was okay for a JW to be in the wedding party. This may have been the understanding in our KH and not the broader understanding, though.

StAnn

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

at my wedding my mom and siblings didn't even enter, they stood outside

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit