JW's and weddings

by nana1957 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dwtnphotog
    dwtnphotog

I wonder if anyone will freak when I show up to shoot a wedding in a KH with a goatee. Needless to say, the bride and groom don't know I am DF.

• witnessgirl
    witnessgirl

Like I mentioned in another thread, it's currently a conscience matter (WT 15Nov07p31), but it really does depend on the elders in your cong. Half-decent elders versus tough elders makes a big difference in a cong (I switched to a different hall in my town for this very reason, which probably isn't an activity that's thought highly of, but nobody said anything).

Now, if the wedding is at the Church of Satan or something, all bets are off....

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

JW's teach that weddings and your participation are super important. Anything that sniffs of JW version of "interfaith" is looked on with high disdain. Weddings of any sort involving any member of a congregation are one of the most regulated events by the elders. This is because the GB of JW's direct this to be so.

Elders must enforce that only JW's participate in a JW wedding. If the elders conscience is in any way offended, you will be marked by the elders. (not to be confused with the whole marking procedure elders can use, although at times this has happened. ) Consider this gem of a quote, still used as a statement of principle so elders can enforce their own views on anything if they choose.

w827/15pp.24-25pars.14-16BenefitingFromYourGod-givenConscience***

Considering others also involves not asking them to approve of something that is against their consciences. For instance, the congregational elders are responsible for permitting wedding ceremonies in the Kingdom Hall, how these will be conducted, how the hall is decorated, and so forth. The elders in one congregation write: "In one wedding all the bridesmaids walked down the aisle fanning themselves. The next wedding had to outdo the first, so the bridesmaids walked down the aisle twirling umbrellas. The next had to be bigger and better; they wanted twenty bridesmaids and twenty ushers. The hall was starting to be used as a circus."

Was this ‘a matter of conscience’ for private decision? No. Even if an engaged couple’s consciences would permit something excessive or outrageous, the collective conscience of the elders could not be ignored. While not wanting to impose their personal tastes, they have at heart the peace, harmony and spirituality of the whole congregation. And they should be conscientiously aiding persons to ‘know how to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is a pillar and support of the truth.’—1 Timothy 3:15; 1 Corinthians 10:31.

So, when facing a decision on ‘a matter of conscience,’ we need to reflect on, (1) what God’s Word says relating to it, and (2) how our decision might affect or involve others.

Total control, based on the whims of the local elders. Good luck!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit