Countdown to IRAN

by sacolton 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Come to think of it, perhaps they have already thrown down the gauntlet at Canada, first. Does the War of 1812 count?

We don't like to talk about that. ummm ... yeah. Wait till next war! arr arr

I don't pretend to be an expert by any means but I thought Iran was a creation of the Treaty of Versailles wherein the conquering powers of WWI (read: Britain and France) carved up Europe and the Middle East according to their wants. I read a very interesting article in Vanity Fair a few months ago that showed the map T.E. Lawrence (sorry I cheated; I had to google to get his correct name), he of Lawrence of Arabia fame, drew up for inclusion in treaty talks. Fascinating how in touch he was with the area, the people, the tribal jealousies, etc. And now, nearly 100 years after the fact I can't help but wonder how much violence could have been avoided in that region if boundaries had been drawn to his recommendations.

Anyway one of the few things my poor McDonald's brain remembers is most of what is now Iran originally was Persia and there is, or was, quite a bit of rivalry and jealousy between Persians and Arabs who now make up Iran. Arabs moved east, along with Islam and transformed the region, but there still seems to be something of a division as well as attitude at least from the Persians toward the Arabs in the country.

Chris

• Forscher
    Forscher

Burn,

Iran is the main financier of the "insurrgency" in Iraq. They are plowing in tons of money, smuggling weapons, and training the insurgents. Without them there would no resources for those fighting both the US and national Iraqi forces. So Iran is the problem.

Forscher

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Forscher,

Iran is the main financier of the "insurrgency" in Iraq. They are plowing in tons of money, smuggling weapons, and training the insurgents. Without them there would no resources for those fighting both the US and national Iraqi forces. So Iran is the problem.

Yes, this fact was established on the first page of this thread. What is more important to the equation though is understanding WHY Iran is a problem. Socially and historically, there is a history to this conflict. It does help to find out why it exists. An unsentimental understanding of such matters is what foreign policies should be built on, not the latest issue of Captain America. Interestingly, Iran boasts to having the first democratic consitution ever constructed, recorded on clay prisms in 2,500BC.

A hint:

In March 2008 Mr Ahmadinejad made an unprecedented official visit to Iraq. He said the presence of foreign forces in Iraq was a humiliation and insult to the region.

Does the phrase 'Axis of Evil' ring a bell? It should, as it was this phrase that caused an emergency meeting of the Iranian Parliament and led to to the determination to expand its nuclear interests. Ill chosen, innacurate, and phrased for the consumption of a large part of the US electorate who would never mistake the truth when a fancy marketing sound-bite is fed to them instead. The phrase axis of evil is no longer merely aimed at the enemies of the US, but it has found a place in the White House Administration itself in the minds of millions of its citizens.

When the majority accept that your government is in the hands of a collection of the most ignorant, inept and incompetent politicians ever to grace the office, the flame of hope will once again burn over your nation. Perhaps that time is coming soon.

HS

• free2beme
    free2beme

The United States will not do it. They will secretly back Isreal to do it for them.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

For any who are interested in knowing about Iran, its long history, its social structure, its politics, and its culture, the BBC did a superb series of documentaries last year which I think are still available for online listening at this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/iran/

HS

• Simon
    Simon

The US has demonstrated how weak and ineffective it's military machine is going up against Iraq ... a country under sanctions and being bombed for a decade. It's geared up for the big conflict with Russia and all the high-tech weapons don't count for as much when it comes down to people on the ground (and it always comes down to people on the ground - don't believe the hype).

I fancy Iran's chances to be honest both from a military perspective and politically - I don't think the US has the willpower or stomach to start a conflict that would be very expensive (monetarily and people-wise)

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Iran is the main financier of the "insurrgency" in Iraq.

Aren't the Saudis and Syrians the highest contributors to the insurgence???

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Simon,

I don't think the US has the willpower or stomach to start a conflict that would be very expensive (monetarily and people-wise)

The main reason that the war has been able to last so long in Iraq is that Bush cunningly avoided a draft, something the nation would not have accepted for longer than a few months. He chose instead to work his soldiers to the bone by continually rotating them. If major action was planned in Iraq, a draft would be necessary, something that will not happen.

Of course he could persuade old Gordy Brown, who these days reminds me of a thief stupid enough to mug himself, to send fifty SAS troops to Iran. They are after all the equivalent of fifty US Divisions.

HS

• Forscher
    Forscher
    Yes, this fact was established on the first page of this thread. What is more important to the equation though is understanding WHY Iran is a problem. Socially and historically, there is a history to this conflict. It does help to find out why it exists. An unsentimental understanding of such matters is what foreign policies should be built on, not the latest issue of Captain America. Interestingly, Iran boasts to having the first democratic consitution ever constructed, recorded on clay prisms in 2,500BC.

You state the obvious, though why you need to escapes me since I've already made my assessment on the why several times on this forum. Your citation of a historical fact is irrelevant to such understanding since Iran is currently a theocratic dictatorship which tries to portray itself as a form of democracy. Objectively speaking, the Iranians, Who have a history of success in war which predates the establishment of the US republic by a few thousand years, saw right through the unfolding strategy of the US administration and headed it off with tried and true strategy employed by both the communists against the US in Vietnam and against the Soviets in Afghanistan. Our military establishment's failure to learn the lessons of both conflicts and head Iran off at the pass is the sole reason for the success of Iran in keeping us bogged down there.

The US has demonstrated how weak and ineffective it's military machine is going up against Iraq ... a country under sanctions and being bombed for a decade. It's geared up for the big conflict with Russia and all the high-tech weapons don't count for as much when it comes down to people on the ground (and it always comes down to people on the ground - don't believe the hype).

Partially correct Simon. The US is more successful than you realize at the moment because the Mainstream is keeping our success out of the public eye. Haven't you noticed that there is almost nothing in the news right now about Iraq? That is because 15 of the 18 objectives of the increase in forces in Iraq are met. The Iraqis have taken over much of the responsibility for dealing with insurgents and accomplished much more than the media wants the public to know. So they are silent on the subject.

Right now the media is pounding the subject of the "resurgence" of the Taliban and cheering them on. That does fit the media paradigm of the ineffective US military so they are pounding away at it. For them a successful US is not news and they just don't want to hear about it. They also neglect to mention that when Bush made his deals to enable him to withdraw troops from Afghanistan and go into Iraq NATO took over the bulk of the responsibility for The Afghan front. For most of the time since a German general held command there and the situation there is due to two factors. One, missteps on European Military leaders on the ground there. Two, ignoring the lesson from both Vietnam and Afghanistan that an enemy allowed safe refuge will regroup and reemerge. Both NATO and the US didn't want to rock an ally's boat, namely Musharraf in neighboring Pakistan, and that repeat of the Soviet's mistake in the same region is the main reason for the situation there.

I fancy Iran's chances to be honest both from a military perspective and politically - I don't think the US has the willpower or stomach to start a conflict that would be very expensive (monetarily and people-wise)

In truth, the Ayatollahs relied on two things. First, the resentment for a conquering force by any people, even when said conquest and occupation provides freedom in reality. Before the US went in a visiting Argentinian professor in the college I last attended pointed out that part of human nature in his assessment of what was likely to happen if the us went into Iraq and he was proven correct by events. Second, they also relied on the historical fact the the US political left-wing just doesn't have the stomach for war and will do anything they can to stop us from going into any war or hinder our conduct of any war entered into. The sole exception being if they are backed into a situation by an outside party like happened in WWII and public opinion sides so strongly for revenge that they are powerless to do anything about it. That, by the way, is why the US stayed out of WWII as long as it did and left you Britts alone to face the darkness. Were it not for a very powerful political left which was actually sympathetic towards Hitler and considered WWII a "European problem" which had nothing to do with us the US would've come to your aid earlier and things would never have been as disparate for your country as they became in 1940-41. So I agree that you are partially correct in your opinion.

Forscher

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Forscher,

You state the obvious, though why you need to escapes me since I've already made my assessment on the why several times on this forum.

Not a difficult statement for me to answer.

I state 'obvious' facts repeatedly to you because it takes an obvious fact repeatedly stated before you see actually the point. That is the problem with carrying an agenda around with you, it turns even intelligent people like yourself into dullards.

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit