High IQ turns academics into atheists

by darth frosty 47 Replies latest jw friends

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Would apes be atheists?

You might think that human beings at least enjoy the advantage of being more generally intelligent. To test this idea, my colleagues and I recently administered an array of cognitive tests — the equivalent of nonverbal I.Q. tests — to adult chimpanzees and orangutans (two of our closest primate relatives) and to 2-year-old human children. As it turned out, the children were not more skillful overall. They performed about the same as the apes on the tests that measured how well they understood the physical world of space, quantities and causality. The children performed better only on tests that measured social skills: social learning, communicating and reading the intentions of others.

Or maybe we should test social intelligence, the only skill that makes us unique?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

It's said these days that emotional intelligence is more important than any other type of intelligence.

It's the old " average or stupid people believe in a higher power, brilliant people don't" myth.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

It's said these days that emotional intelligence is more important than any other type of intelligence.

It's the old " average or stupid people believe in a higher power, brilliant people don't" myth.

Why would that be? I don't think theists have below average social (or emotional) intelligence. They're very skillful in networking and fundraising whereas atheists tend to be more individual.

Emotions are as important as ratio. That's why academics are easy targets.

• Sirona
    Sirona

FHN

There are different IQ tests which measure on different scales. In some tests, a score of about 130 would be within the top 2%. On others, you'd need a score of around 145.

IMHO the best tests are those which are designed to be used by anyone - young or old - and crossing language barriers. This way, the test doesn't require knowledge of your native language (you might have noticed some tests which ask you to match English words. IMO they are inferior to the tests which don't use language at all).

The only way anyone really knows their IQ is to be tested under supervised (exam) conditions. Online tests are not as accurate and home tests can be less accurate because you can give yourself longer to complete the test. Time is an important factor in IQ testing.

Having said all this, I've met lots of people with high IQs who have no social skills or emotional empathy. They also often have a lack of general knowledge. General knowledge is certainly not my forte.

Sirona

• catbert
    catbert

I think most serial killers have above average IQ's.

• Galileo
    Galileo

I was waiting for someone to bring up Hitler or the Holocaust as a way to demonize smart people, but I suppose this is close enough.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

This statement is an overgeneralization because it appears that there are two types of serial killers. This is what Wikipedia taught me:

Regardless, the FBI generally categorizes serial killers into the two different types. Organized/Nonsocial Offenders are usually of high intelligence, have an above average IQ (110> range), and plan their crimes quite methodically, usually abducting victims, killing them in one place and disposing of them in another. Disorganized/Asocial Offenders are often of low intelligence, have a below average IQ (<90), and commit their crimes impulsively.

Serial killers come form all walks of life, no matter their intelligence.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Time is an important factor in IQ testing.

Time is only important if the person being tested has no learning or psychological disabilities. Some very intelligent people would not do well on timed tests, but still have very high intelligence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit