Would you die for your beliefs?

by purplesofa 48 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Do you feel so strongly about a particular belief that you would make a stand for it through death?

What belief is it?

Thanks,

purps

• changeling
    changeling

I would die to save my kids.

changeling :)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I would die to save another human being. Lives are important.
    I would die for you, Purps. I would die for a stranger.
    Heck, I would die for a JW. (I might have trouble with a GB member)
    I don't really have beliefs- certainly not worth dying for.

My wife's beliefs- including the one that says "BE OBEDIENT TO
    THE WTS's STAND ON REFUSING BLOOD" - I will not let her
    die for that belief. Lives are important. I will intervene.
    If I am willing to die for her, I have to be willing to let her hate me
    for saving her life.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I have no belief I would be willing to die for.

I would die to save my family, but I would do that from love, not an abstract belief.

• beksbks
    beksbks

My children.

Once, a long time ago, myself, my ex, and a couple of friends were walking home late at night. We were walking on the edge of some projects. Ya know projects? Housing? This was at about 14th st. and Guerrero in San Francisco. Anyway, all of a sudden a girl came running out of them across the street toward us. She was all messed up, crying, no shoes. She said someone had tried to rape her. Well, of course I ran directly into the total darkness of the project courtyard. My ex grabbed me, and dragged me out. I can't remember what we did with the girl, (it's been more than 20 years, I was 19). But I always wondered what the heck I was thinking, what did I think I could have done? But it was instinct.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Well, I would have to think a bit on that question. I think parakeet summed it up well enough though. I would have to say I would let something I feel strongly about FUBAR my whole life. With that said, FUBAR is a living hell sometimes. I do feel I have to stand for something so I may as well go through hell for it. But truly, if you don't believe in something, what kind of backbone do you have? Don't most of us that are removed from our families go through a virtual death of sorts in some ways just to find a rebirth?

I am not saying some higher power, although it may be your choice to, but the things I do believe in I feel strongly about. And I guess at the moment faced with the options or not, I would know then if I would die for it.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

It might be important to remember that many people have died unnecessarily for beliefs that have no basis in fact.

• amicus
    amicus
    Do you feel so strongly about a particular belief that you would make a stand for it through death?

No one belief per se, but I have no problem intervening in something that I see occuring that I think is wrong. When I react emotionally, I don't hesitate. Personal risk in those instances has never been an issue. I love life, but personal integrity was pretty well ingrained into my siblings and I.

Subjected to torture? I'm not so sure. Most people will eventually do or say anything to end prolonged physical or mental torment. I would still hold my own personal beliefs...but I probably would spill my guts eventually.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

"It might be important to remember that many people have died unnecessarily for beliefs that have no basis in fact. "

Hortensia~ Is that not the truth! I tell you what, good thing I do not believe in much lately. Odd but true.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Beliefs are abstract. People are not. I would not die for my beliefs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit