Williams Sisters can't vote, but can be part of the U.N.!!!

by ohiocowboy 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-wimbledonnotebook&prov=ap&type=lgns

Williams sisters can’t vote because of their religion

By JOHN PYE, AP Sports Writer 7 hours, 37 minutes ago

WIMBLEDON, England (AP)—Serena Williams would vote for Barack Obama if she could. Don’t even ask Venus Williams what her political leanings are.

The Williams sisters, vocal on so many issues from fashion to gender equality and equal pay for women, say they’re not allowed to vote because of their religion. The sisters, who have 14 Grand Slam singles titles between them and are among the most recognizable athletes in sports, are Jehovah’s Witnesses.

After their first-round wins at Wimbledon, both were asked about the Nov. 4 presidential election.

“I feel that what I do in tennis isn’t really political,” Venus said after her 7-6 (5), 6-1 win over British wild card entry Naomi Cavaday on Tuesday. The work she does for UNESCO and other agencies was about helping people, she said, “I don’t see it as political. I don’t vote.”

Younger sister Serena said she was “excited to see Obama out there doing his thing.”

“I’m a Jehovah’s Witness, so I don’t get involved in politics. We stay neutral. We don’t vote,” she said. “So I’m not going to necessarily go out and vote for him. I would if it wasn’t for my religion.”

BYE, BYE BJORKMAN: Jonas Bjorkman’s 15th and last Wimbledon singles campaign was among his shortest. The 36-year-old Swede lost in the first-round Tuesday 4-6, 7-6 (4), 6-4, 7-6 (4) to Frenchman Arnaud Clement.

Bjorkman made the semifinals here two years ago at 34 before losing to eventual champion Roger Federer, equaling his best run at a major. He made the U.S. Open semis in 1997, the year he reached a career-high No. 4 in singles.

Bjorkman plans to play until the Stockholm Open in October. His more immediate plan is to add a 10th Grand Slam doubles title. He has three at Wimbledon among his nine.

His favorite moments involved the three Davis Cup titles he helped Sweden win.

“To win it three times, it’s something very special I think—it’s something we’re very proud of back home in Sweden,” he said.

BIZZ BUZZ BEES: There’s a buzz going around Wimbledon about the birds and the bees.

Two days after having to deal with a swarm of bees around the player locker rooms, Wimbledon organizers received a letter from an animal rights group condemning the treatment of pigeons at the All England Club.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) said it had seen newspaper reports that army marksmen were being used to shoot pigeons around the club.

PETA sent a letter to Tim Phillips, chairman of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, and members of the Metropolitan Police Wildlife Crime Unit to outline Wimbledon’s “apparently illegal action.”

“We believe that the club should be prosecuted for cruelty to animals,” said the letter, which was released to the media Tuesday.

PETA urged Phillips to call an immediate halt to the eradication plans if the reports were correct.

Under the Animal Welfare Act, a property owner can only use lethal control as a last resort if it can demonstrate, in a court of law, which non-lethal methods had been used and only if the target species presents a demonstrable risk to public health and safety.

All England Club spokesman Johnny Perkins confirmed contract pest controllers had used marksmen to shoot at pigeons on Sunday, and defended the club’s policy.

MAJOR MOMENT: Japanese player Ai Sugiyama set a record for most consecutive Grand Slam main draw appearances—by a woman or man—when she started her 57th with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Belgian Yanina Wickmayer.

“I’m very happy. When I heard the number of Grand Slams I played it’s actually really huge numbers,” said Sugiyama, who will turn 33 next week. “Even here I came 16 times—this is my 16th Wimbledon—it’s been great. I just don’t want to just be here but I want to perform well as well.”

Sugiyama said she has never had a serious injury, and travels with a trainer and has a massage everyday to prolong her career.

“I still need to play good. I need to feel that I can keep going, not only being in the first round to participate,” she said, giving no hint of retirement. “Tomorrow is the only day that I can think of. I never thought I could play this long. … I would like to play the next U.S Open for sure.”

Sugiyama played her first major at Wimbledon in 1993. Her unbroken stretch of majors started at Wimbledon in 1994, before she had graduated from high school. Her best results at Grand Slam events have been quarterfinals, in 2000 at Australia and in 2004 at Wimbledon.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

BUT if they could vote they WOULD, for Obama. Doesn't sound very neutral to me. Sounds like trying to ride the fence.

• justhuman
    justhuman

Yeah, she can't vote for Obama but she can enjoy all the millions of dollars she earned by participating in Tennis Tournaments, advertize promotions, and God knows what else they do to get money being Tennis superstars. And this star system that they are involved in, and they have became f*ck*ng rich because the use it so well, it was actually created by "wordly"people, or even worsed, it was created by the Commercial part of "Satan's system".

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Yes, and Venus does work for UNESCO, the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Org. How come She doesn't get in trouble for being part of the U.N.? Could it be the big donations the sisters make to the Borg??? That would be a good thing to bring up to those questioning the "Truth".

• snowbird
    snowbird

The both them are a hot mess!

Sylvia

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I just Googled Venus Williams UNESCO, and what came up is she is the GLOBAL AMBASSADOR for UNESCO!

I wonder what the WT would say if someone were to call and ask why a JW in supposed good standing can be a Global Ambassador for the UN???

• booby
    booby

I am NOT advocating for the society, faithful slave, governing body, et al, however to be realistic or "fair" this is a case of two girls making their way through a wall of reporters saying what they can to be as politically correct as they can. It is they that are using the "we are Jehovah's Witnesses" when it is beneficial for them. It is not like the witnesses coming out with a statement like "the williams sisters are "'sister sisters'" and we advocate that you young ones in the organization should emulate their example. Just my two bits worth.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

I don't agree with this. They get to be mega-star tennis players, but if any local microphone boy decides to pursue "higher learning" at a university, he is looked down upon...

WTF?

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Just like the WB&TS.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Ohio, good find !

Even tho' these young women seem to live their lives far differently, in a good way, than other 'high profile' JW's like Prince & Michael Jackson -- they all have something in common...BIG $$$ and the WT hasn't tossed them out.

Makes ya' think, doesn't it ?

WT has to get BIG $$$ from somebody to pay off their multi-million dollar pedophile lawsuits.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit