Captives of a Concept

by Mickey mouse 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Don Cameron
    Don Cameron

Thanks for all the nice comments about the book. They even make me want to read it!

Don

• mouthy
    mouthy

Don welcome to the board.... I have been giving your book the go-ahead for ages...

Is it PA for you on the 10th of Oct???? Hope to see you there

Love Grace Gough ( or if you prefer the WT name Undeserved kindness LOL

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

You know what, I haven't read it yet. The only "postate" stuff I've read are the ones I can store electronically (eg Franz). I think I've gone to purchase Captives a number of times, but there was no option of Paypal (where I have funds). And I didn't want it coming up on my credit card. Would love to read it though, and I definitely will sometime. Thanks for the reminder, and the recommendation. x

• IT Support
    IT Support

hotchocolate,

The only "postate" stuff I've read are the ones I can store electronically (eg Franz). I think I've gone to purchase Captives a number of times, but there was no option of Paypal (where I have funds). And I didn't want it coming up on my credit card.

Good news! It's available as a .pdf from Lulu ...

And Lulu also accepts Paypal payments.

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

I got the book from Lulu and also the hard copy. I've been in touch with Don over the years because he lives in the same city I was born in. I don't know if he wants that made public so I won't.

The book makes its most powerful point by dealing with the "food at the proper time" BS. It's been said a million times but again: If Russell walked into a K. Hall today, he'd be disfellowshipped for apostasy. Isn't it bad enough that the teachings changed and therefore disqualified the WT from being the "faithful slave"? But to PUNISH those who today still believe the doctrines that supposedly meant the world to Jesus Christ when he inspected the insane asylum (SORRY, the WT) is so ludicrous that any JW who is shown the main points in the book and still remains a JW has an IQ equal to a plant. No, that's wrong, I shouldn't insult plants. The IQ of a rock. That's better.

It wasn't until I took Abnormal Psychology when getting my degree that I started to see many behaviors that JW's exhibit and where in the "chart of mental disorders" (look it up, it's excellent reading) they fit. We've all seen the analogy made here about the emporer's new clothes and how easily people will go "stupid" and why. I think the JW's are even worse. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I once heard an ex-JW claim that if the WT announced at a convention that all the sisters between the ages of 20 and 30 had to immediately take their clothes off and dance on stage, that dozens of them would stand up and start walking up the steps, probably looking at each other to see who was going to be first. I know that won't quite happen that badly, but they are close.

Oh, and the "light getting brighter". Where the hell does it say anything in the Bible about that verse applying to today's servants of God? (Which the JW's are NOT.) If the light is so god damn "bright", then why does the WT get more things wrong with each passing year? And why do they look more idiotic as time passes?

Remember this? Rule #1- The Customer is Always Right. Rule #2- If you have any questions or objections, see Rule #1. Wow, that's so intelligent!!!

Okay. Now for the WT's rules.

RULE # 1 - The Watchtower is always right.

RULE # 2 - If you doubt this, see RULE # 1.

RULE # 3 - No matter how many times we flip flop, contradict ourselves, or publish doctrines that would make Jesus choke to death, no matter how stupid we look, no matter how badly we break every Bible principle from Genesis to Revelations, no matter what evidence is brought against us, see RULE # 1.

RULE # 4 - If Jehovah God, Jesus Christ, and millions of angels show up in the sky and they all tell the WT it is wrong, is a baby-raping cult, is run by lunatics, and they officially denounce the WT as condemned in their eyes, it's only Satan playing a trick on the faithful servants of Jehovah God. SEE RULE # 1 AGAIN AND STOP BOTHERING TO READ ANYTHING AFTER RULE # 1 BECAUSE YOU ONLY NEED RULE # 1.

In closing, I'd like to recommend that people buy both the book and the PDF. (Copying the PDF into MS Word mangles the entire book unless you are an expert in Word.) The book is good to show JW's at the door and the PDF is good to have as backup.

I wish everyone good health and Flipper, if you're reading this, peace to you.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I just got my copy of this book yesterday... I'm about halfway through, Thanks Don!

I am one exJW who was affected by this concept and began to see through it. During my Gilead training, 1919 was given heavy emphasis (much more than I was used to.) This led me to question the FDS authority, although from a different angle than that covered in CaptivesofaC. I rejected the 1914 chronology, so in my book, 1919 didn't happen. I also questioned the 1919 appointing since a reading of the proclaimers book (which we studied in Gilead) indicated that nothing special happened in 1919 and they were still teaching Babylonish false doctrines...

The cognitive dissonance took about 5 years to finally switch off completely. I was captive to the concept that the WTS was teaching the truth...

But I'm finally out and free!

It really doesn't mater how you dissect it, the WTS is just WT-BS.

A@G

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

IT support, thank you for the suggestion, but actually Don got the jump and I'm now the proud owner of my own electronic copy.

I can't even tell you how excited I am to read it - I've been wanting to get my hands on it for AGEST!

I'll feedback later for sure.. :-)

X

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

I'm sorry for veering off course but I don't know how to start a new topic and have it put into Net Soup. Today on MSN there is a story about "Why JW's don't vote." It discusses two sisters who are JW's and are tennis pros. There names are Serena Williams and Venus. One said she liked Barak but wouldn't be voting and the other wouldn't even discuss the issue. The article went on to say that in 1999 there was a WT article leaving it up to the individual but still laying out the reasons that it's wrong.

Does anyone know what the latest policy is on voting? I'll contact the moderator later for instructions about using the forum.

Many thanks to all and good health also.

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

Hey, not sure whether a new thread was started for this.. but yes, there was a Question from Readers which predictably left the Readers confused. :-)

http://www.jwfiles.com/vote.htm

I think if you really wanted to vote, you could get away with it for sure.

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

Jeremy C.

I liked your comments about "food at the proper time". If the WT was serving "meat in due season", several questions come to mind. A few are: Knowing now that every single teaching from 1914-1919 has been altered or abandoned, why and how could the WT continue to point to this "proof"?? They look like lying assholes.

The other question no JW will answer for me is "Why would God want "spoiled meat" to be served to his people?" Why make them sick? What was the point of all the Mosaic Law rules on food and hygiene if all of the food was spoiled? Would anyone today, whether WT people, rank and file JW's, or even the public, want to eat food that would have them in the ER clinging to life?

And ignoring the safety of the meat, what purpose does this meat serve? Did JW's serve God better? Did more people become JW's because the bad meat brought them in and the WT figured it could take care of any "upset stomachs" after everyone joined? If anything, the WT destroyed its credibility (not that it had much left) and now is venturing into the area of perjury, idiocy, lunacy, and appearing to be a cross between Jim Jones and Adolf Hitler.

If anyone does the math, it's obvious that this can't work in the long run. Many have said that the top guys are trying to salvage the assets and "get out of town" before the collapse. Are 12 old idiotic men going to flee to South America with 50 million dollars apiece? If any of the GB are really going to get into trouble, I hope they get Ted Jaracz first. It's too bad most of them are too old to serve much prison time, but I'd pay good money to see that bastard taken out permanently.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit