Captives of a Concept

by Mickey mouse 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

What a fantastic book! I really enjoyed it. I loved the way Don Cameron refused to get bogged down with arguing for an alternative scriptural interpretation to the witnesses. All he had to do was show how the facts and their history didn't match with their own interpretation.

It's so true that the most imprtant scripture to witnesses is Matt 24:45-47. At the beginning of the book I kept thinking "ah, but what about the light getting brighter" and then I got to the chapter about that being the second most important scripture to them.

Mickey.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

BTTT!

• garybuss
    garybuss

Yup! Well done! It focuses on the core issue, "the authority".

Unfortunately now the "appointment" is in hazy outline in many Witnesses' mind. They don't know the names of the leaders or the history of the claim. The claims and the concepts can't be discussed or challenged because they are a taboo subject for Witnesses.

That's how the Watch Tower protects all their weaknesses . . . make talking about them a sin.

http://www.captivesofaconcept.com/index.php

• saklunch
    saklunch

Bravo!! Agreed. For a small fee I downloaded it on line and printed it. Well worth the money in any form!

• Confession
    Confession

Absolutely, Mick. One of the best ex-JW publications I've ever found. Excellent work by Cameron.

• tooktheredpill
    tooktheredpill

Guys:

CoC is a great book. It disassembles the FDS supposed "authority" from the source. Step by step, and with a lot of logic.

It helped me to disconnect my wife from the Borg.

Highly recommend it!!

TTRP

• blondie
    blondie

jws can only focus on one doctrine at a time if at all. This book does a good job of simply unraveling the core of the WTS so-called authority. I have the book in my library.

Blondie

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

The basic thrust of Cameron's argument was to deconstruct the Watchtower's claim that they were serving the kind of "proper food" at the "proper time" that would pass Christ's inspection.

As he points out rather succinctly, the Watchtower was not publishing proper information at the time of the supposed inspection of Christ. Their teachings did not differ much from that of the Second Adventists of the time. At the time of the supposed inspection by Christ Jesus, they were still teaching that Jesus was enthroned in 1874 - another carry over from the Adventist movement.

The very foundation of the "Faithful Slave" teaching comes down to the 1919 appointment by Christ. Regardless of what has been taught in the last 90 years, the question remains - did this divine "selection" really take place. As Cameron points out (through pointing out all of their sloppy teachings at the time); the "spiritual food" being served at that time was hardly anything to be proud of; and with all of the falshoods that it contained; was nothing that could be considered to be superior over other Adventist-style groups.

Ray Franz in his book In Search of Christian Freedom, devoted an entire chapter to the concept of the Faithful Slave with it's 1919 appointment. After considering all of the evidence, Franz very bluntly referred to the published teachings as "immaginative silliness". He also stated that it was "an insult to Christ Jesus" to claim that he had chosen this organization based upon what they were publishing at this time.

No wonder Kingdom Hall libraries have purged all of the works by Russell and Rutherford. If all of the teachings of the time were so illustrious as to garner Christ's favor; why is it that these published books can only be found in "apostates" attics and on E-bay?

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

I would recommend Captives to all who lurk here and many who are sitting on the fence. Once you have read this book, there is no turning back. Your life will be better for it and you can move on to a more fulfilling life.

You have invested a number of years of your life to the Watchtower Society. Invest a few hours and read this book, it will save you countless years of a loss life serving the Watchtower.

Thanks again Cameron!

Blueblades

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I was trying to decide what to read after "Combatting Cult Mind Control". "Crisis of Conscience"? This "Captives of a Concept" really appeals to me, though for some reason I thought the concept it referred to was the 607/587 concept. Apparently though it is the FDS concept, the true heart of JW BS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit