OMG!!! I have been crying for the last 2 hours...I just got Pell grant!!!!

by FreedomFrog 44 Replies latest jw friends

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Pell grant is a federal grant for low income people that wants to go to college but doesn't have that much money to support it.

Ok, here's my story...

My ex makes good money...I get divorced but they still use the "last" years tax...meaning, even though I'm not "making" that money anymore "too bad".

I've been in college for 2 1/2 years now, ending my first degree, signing up for my BA...

I was just APPROVED FOR PELL GRANTS and "other" Federal assistance for college!!!!!!!!

I've been after them for 2 years and it's finally arrived...

What does that mean for me????

My loans won't be 15,000 per degree but rather more like 4,000....I don't have to worry about buying my books anymore. I'll have extra money to send into my (already) loans!!!! I'll get a check each month for schooling....

I'm SOOOOOOOOOOO relieved at the same time, I can't believe it finally happen after all the fighting I've done. My college loans aren't going to kill me now!!! You have no idea what that means to me!!!

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

That is so awesome... congrats, Freedom!

The crying is, in some way, a good thing, right?

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    The crying is, in some way, a good thing, right?

You have no idea!!! I've been worrying about my loans...

Crying is a WONDERFUL thing!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can complete my goal becoming a child psychologist without the worrying of MAJOR student loans.

This has opened up my goal becoming a PhD in children and psychology!!!!!!!

This was basically a golden ticket saying "yes, if you put the work in it, we'll help you with the money".

My dream is to work with children and helping them through difficult situations. This is opening up my dream to a more reasonable reality.

If I hadn't gotten my Pell Program, I would have had to stop at BA...but this will allow me to go as far as I want to....(my PhD)

• John Doe
    John Doe

Freedom, don't mean to rain on your parade, but I'm pretty sure Pell grants are only for undergraduate degrees. However, most schools have assistantships and other programs for those seeking graduate degrees.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

WAY TO GO!!!

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    Freedom, don't mean to rain on your parade, but I'm pretty sure Pell grants are only for undergraduate degrees.

No worries...I'm still an "undergraduate" from what my financial counselor have told me.

I have 64 credits..., I'm am a sophomore (accordingly to what they are saying)...level 2 student, with a 3.69 GPA. From what they are saying, all of that goes together.

I just talked with my counselor and she still said I can still be eligible...I just received the letter saying I WAS.

Besides, even if I don't get the pell, I've been approved for other federal assistance...from the letter I received, my college will get in touch with me tomorrow.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Sounds like you're all set. Congratulations and good luck.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Just to let you know...the reasons it's taken me 2 1/2years to get to my first degree...

I'm a working single mother of two...I've had to take a few "breaks" to not get way too burned out.

My college has worked with me every step of the way. It should have been an 18 month program, but I knew that if I didn't pace myself, I would have dropped out earlier.

Imagine, a 3 year old getting lonely and climbing on your back while you are trying to figure out what

x + (x + 2) + (x + 4) + (x + 6) = 64 when you have no idea how algerbra works!!!!

Very freakin' hard!!!

I'm proud where I am and with what I have to deal with... 2 more blocks and my first degree...already signed up for my BA

BTW

The algerbra answers are (for those that want to know...LOL) There can be several answers for the problem

x = 13

x + 2 = 15

x + 4 = 17

x + 6 = 19

I NOW know algerbra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! heehee!!!!!

• John Doe
    John Doe

You should be proud. That's a great gpa.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Congratulations to you, your determination is paying off. It's opening up whole new worlds for you (and your children). You even know algebra (only 1 'r' in that word, my friend), and that's easier said than done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit