Witnet closes its Door for good...

by Pathofthorns 35 Replies latest jw friends

• TR
    TR

Hi Jonny,

Enjoyed your thinking abilities at witnet. Glad to have you here.

TR-ex-witnet incognito poster.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Simon,

features that ex-Witnet members will probably be used to such as Private Messaging

Is it true that witnet's private messaging was read by monitors? That's what I heard - rather makes the term of private messaging an oxymoron, don't you think?

It's a great freedom that we don't have any monitors on this forum - nor are threads shut down. With an occasional problem aside, we do seem to be able to monitor ourselves - which, upon reflection, shouldn't be something we should be so proud of - it should come naturally as mature adults. But, like a child's allowance ("you should be doing these things anyway. I shouldn't have to pay you."), perhaps a "no monitor" status is a freedom.

Thanks for your inept watchful eye, Simon.

waiting

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Waiting....it's no problem being self-monitoring. All we need to do is to warn all the new posters about your.....um.....little idiosyncracies, and we do just fine.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, I would be able to read messages unless I built in some sort of encryption. This does make support difficult though and, thanks to crazy new UK laws, could mean I could be guilty of a criminal offence. If I was asked to divulge the contents to any law enforcement agency they would not accept the fact that I myself didn't have access as an excuse!
    I would plan on private messages not being accessible to moderators though (if we ever get any!).

• Jonny
    Jonny

Thanks for the welcome, this DB seems very good.

But i'm little concerned about the security, it's very easy to become a member.
    How do you handle opposer's, have you had any trouble with them?

• Jonny
    Jonny

Yes KingdomLeast, maybe he found some Israelites to hang out with ;-)

Edited by - Jonny on 15 December 2000 20:40:18

• RR
    RR

Well Jonny, between you and me .... it's me KL in the flesh ... but .... shhhhhh .... don't tell anyone okay? I'm here incognito!

"People in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones"

• TMS
    TMS

The abruptness of the closing of witnesses.net was a semi-surprise, although it was obvious that a buyout by the members was next to impossible to orchestrate.

Many of the posts in the "Sensitive Forum" were well-articulated, documented and expanded my thinking in a number of areas.

TMS

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Hey Kingdom Least. lol.

I'm a big fan. The same with you TMS. Enjoyed your posts as well.

Path

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

As for your question Jonny, you will find that most opposition on the net comes when there is too much security, no free speech and thought.

I don't think this is a problem here. Troublemakers usually just leave when you don't respond to them.

I don't think there are as many "opposers" as we like to believe sometimes. Sometimes people are just in a difficult place, trying to make sense of things or looking for that freedom to serve God with a clear conscience.

You might find even yourself "opposing" people who do not share your view. Many times when we label someone an "opposer" it is actually us who is doing the opposing.

Path

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit