Called hospice yesterday

by redredrose 18 Replies latest jw friends

• redredrose
    redredrose

for my mother who has Alzheimers.

My husband and I made the decision over the weekend. She is just getting weaker by the day, has no interest in food or liquid, and
    in the last week seems to be uncomfortable and more agitated.

I want to thank Oompa whose kind words factored into my decision.

So, I called them yesterday and they came this morning. By the afternoon liquid meds for pain had already been delivered.
    Quick service, huh? They are going to be a big help by sending a nurse twice a week and sending someone else for 4 hours on Monday
    and Friday, and for 2 hours on Saturday. They've already offered to get a hospital bed for her.

So, if anyone ever finds themselves in a similar condition, don't hesitate to call hospice. They are ready and willing to help.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

We had hospice around when my grandmother and my brother in law were dying of cancer. They are wonderful, loving people. They gave us so much support. And when the end finally did come, we called them. They handled it all, and cried with us. They laughed with us and gave good advice.

There will be strange things, yes, even stranger than is going on now, that your mom will do. The hospice nurses will be there to answer anything.

I am sorry you are facing this. But soon your mom will be in peace.

momz

• changeling
    changeling

My thoughts are with you.

changeling

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

REDREDROSE --------Sorry to hear about your mother. I find it difficult to think of things that possibly might comfort you today. And yet perhaps just knowing that our thoughts are with you now.

• redredrose
    redredrose

Thanks guys for your support.

Over the weekend it was difficult, because it meant finally admitting that the end is near. However, now that its done I feel
    a good bit of relief.

Now I know that she will be more comfortable. That in itself is a load of guilt off my shoulders.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Hospice took care of my dad his last week. Best 1 week out of 10 he had. I support them.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

As a nurse, i've worked very closely with hospice.

Right now, my best friends mom is under hospice care. Prob won't make it a couple more days.

Hospice nurses are the bomb!!

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

My hubby also had hospice. I couldn't have made it without them. Only thing is I didn't seem to have the coverage where they come in and give you a break..

When hubby finally passed away hospice came right over and handled everything. Made all the right calls and handled all the paperwork.

When my girlfriends Mom had alzheimers..she was ill a very long time. She just kept hanging on. My girlfriend ended up putting the hospital bed in the middle of the house where everyone could see her and vice versa. When they passed her they would stroke her or give a a spoonful of food as she would still eat but only a spoon at a time and not all at once.She ended up curled up in a fetal position but they continued to touch her and talk to her.

The bad part is none of the mom's other two kids ever came to see her.. My friend ended up taking care of her the whole time. The others always had one excuse or the other. My friend didn't mind...she loved her Mom very much and used to talk about all the fun they had growing up as a family. I hope her Mom could hear her. Hospice was able to get her mom a lot of the meds, pads, and other things she needed plus the bed!

Red Rose..I hope things are easier for all now. It's always hard to lose a loved one..even if they are suffering..it still hurts.

Hugs ..Snoozy...

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

HOSPICE IS FANTASTIC! Had to shout it out. They really helped our family when my mom passed away. So sorry that you have to go through this. My mom suffered the same disease so I feel for you.

• Mulan
    Mulan

hospice is great.................I went through the hospice program with my cousin, who was dying of breast cancer, and then my father who also had Alzheimer's.

Dad only lived two days after they came to help................wish I had called them a lot sooner. It didn't occur to me until way late in his illness. I guess I didn't see it as life threatening, but he became harder and harder to handle, and in desperation I asked about hospice.........asked his doctor. It was a light bulb moment for all of us. I guess none of us had thought of it.

Highly recommend them.

So sorry though, that the end is near for your Mom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit