Serena Williams J W quote today

by BluesBrother 50 Replies latest social physical

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Are they baptized Witnesses???

• parakeet
    parakeet

The WTS won't rebuke a dub celebrity. It would reflect badly on the Society, and they must think dub celebrities bring in new dubs by the thousands. My mother told me years ago that Michael Jackson was a dub as if I was supposed to be impressed by that (bet she's sorry she said anything about him now, what with the child molesting charges).

What I've never understood about celebrity dubs is how in good conscience they continue to play tennis instead of going d2d. Dubs are supposed to be in the business of saving people, not playing games (however lucrative).

Serena must know she's above the WTS's reach, so she says and does what she likes, and in interviews throws in her dub status for minor shock value. Anything to keep herself in the limelight.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Just wanted to say HI to Quotes if he comes back to this thread.

purps

• Jourles
    Jourles

I suppose the 'sisters' didn't get the memo about the UN as well....

"I feel that what I do in tennis isn't really political," Venus said after her 7-6 (5), 6-1 win over British wild-card entry Naomi Cavaday on Tuesday. The work she does for UNESCO and other agencies is about helping people, she said. "I don't see it as political. I don't vote."

I have no idea why some folks here would want them to stop saying/doing these things. These two sisters alone can generate more publicity than any or all of us combined. The WTS is in a Catch-22 with them. If they let them be, more and more 'worldly' people will begin to think that jw's are just like anyone else in the world. Afterall, they participate in the Olympics, do nude photo shoots, date those who are obviously non-jws, etc etc etc. We all know that if we were just a regular joe in the KH and were caught doing anything remotely similar to those actions, we would be df'd or automatically da'd. If the WTS was to come out and disavow their actions or df them, a big whirlwind of anger and "WTF's?" would hit them from all corners from their fans. In the stream of time where the WTS is now, the last thing they want to appear to be cast as is a huge fuddy-duddy -- banning anything that the world thinks is normal. The more mainstream they appear to be, the better. External growth requires this. The Williams sisters just happen to be helping this part along, while at the same time shooting themselves in the foot by voicing such nonsense.

It really is a clusterf**k situation for both parties all around. The WTS appears to be offering a double-standard, and the sisters look like whackjobs when they talk like this.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Maybe we could get in touch with a big newspaper and tell them the way Serena's religion would treat her if she was not a celebrity/baptised.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Excellent find Blues! Keep em coming old chap!

Bloody-good-show!

A hello to Quotes also!

Cheers! Atlantis!-

• S3RAPH1M
    S3RAPH1M

I hope Serena Williams does more revealing glamor photos ;)

• lesterd
    lesterd

Doesnt sound like she has a religion...a religion has her.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

I think we should give the girl a break. She has spent more time on a tennis court and gym than in a KH or Field Service. So what. If I looked like her I'd be selling pictures too.

Michael Jackson was "reprooved" over his "Thriller" video and was quoted in the Awake (I think not the WT) "no more Thriller".

She's just a young woman who has worked hard at her skill. She is a world class athelete..doesn't say she's the brightest bulb. Her brush with the society is her worst problem. Leave her alone. The society is the master hypocrite here.

• lostsheep82
    lostsheep82

This an article on it:

Why Don't Jehovah's Witnesses Vote? Because they're representatives of God's heavenly kingdom.

By Jacob Leibenluft Posted Thursday, June 26, 2008, at 6:39 PM ET Serena Williams. Click image to expand Serena Williams

Serena Williams told reporters at Wimbledon on Wednesday that she's excited about Barack Obama's candidacy but won't vote for him because Jehovah's Witnesses "don't get involved in politics." Her sister Venus—who is also a Jehovah's Witness—wouldn't even comment on the presidential election. Why don't Jehovah's Witnesses vote?

Because of John 17:14 and other passages in the Bible. In that verse, Jesus says of his followers: "They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world." Jehovah's Witnesses have interpreted that statement as a call to remain neutral in all political matters. (In some of the sect's literature, members are described as "representatives of God's heavenly kingdom"; they are thus obligated to stay out of local political affairs in keeping with the behavior of ambassadors.) Witnesses also refrain from serving in the military, running for public office, and pledging allegiance to the flag.

Voting is not expressly prohibited, but it is discouraged. The Watchtower, the official publication of the Jehovah's Witnesses, ran an article in 1999 suggesting that the decision whether to vote was one of personal conscience, although it carefully laid out reasons for staying out of the voting booth. In reference to countries that require all citizens to show up at the ballot box, the Watchtower has explained that "[w]here Caesar makes it compulsory for citizens to vote … [Jehovah's Witnesses] can go to the polls and enter the voting booths," but the Watchtower did not specify what Witnesses should do with the ballot itself. According to some, the requirement for political neutrality led to the violent persecution of Witnesses in Malawi during the late 1960s and early 1970s, when adherents refused to register with the ruling Congress Party.

Most Jehovah's Witnesses in America do, in fact, abstain from voting. According to a survey released this week by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, the religious group is far more likely than any other to believe that there is only one true way to interpret religious teachings. In keeping with that adherence, just 13 percent reported they were registered to vote.

While Witnesses have shied away from electoral politics, they have left a strong mark on the judicial branch: The group has brought several dozen civil-liberties cases before the Supreme Court, including a famous 1943 case over whether Jehovah's Witnesses could be forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in schools.

Jehovah's Witnesses are by far the largest religious group that refuses to vote, but they are not the only ones: Old Order Amish, Christadelphians, and Rastafarians have all traditionally shunned politics. (In the case of both the Amish and the Rastafarians, though, attitudes have changed a bit in the last few years.) Nationally, about 2 percent of people who don't register to vote cite religious reasons. If Jehovah's Witnesses did vote, they probably wouldn't form a large bloc anyway: the group makes up less than 1 percent of the U.S. population and is widely distributed across the country.

http://www.slate.com/id/2194321/ link to site

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit