Serena Williams J W quote today

by BluesBrother 50 Replies latest social physical

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Serena

"Williams: ``I obviously am excited to see [ Barack] Obama out there doing his thing, but I'm a [Jehovah's] Witness, so I don't get involved in politics. We stay neutral. We don't vote. We don't get to be a part of these worldly things. So, I'm not going to necessarily go out and vote for him. I would if it wasn't for my religion.''

Jehovah's Witnesses obey and respect laws of their native countries and pay taxes, but they do not vote, salute flags or take part in politics because they believe their only allegiance should be to God's kingdom, a more holy government."

http://www.miamiherald.com/673/story/580859.html

• undercover
    undercover

But you can wave the US flag at the olympics, you can wear skimpy clothes, date worldly guys and be a part of the glamour world???

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    So, I'm not going to necessarily go out and vote for him. I would if it wasn't for my religion.''

In other words, she would vote for him if she wasn't a JW. That doesn't sound very neutral to me.

W

• sandy
    sandy

Wow! What a fine witness she gave! LOL

• Gopher
    Gopher

The more she opens her mouth about JW things, the sillier she sounds.

We don't get to be a part of these worldly things.

But competing in national and international tennis tournaments in front of millions of this world's viewers is not being "a part of these worldly things"?

I wonder if the average reader or tennis fan even has any idea about the stigma attached to the world "worldly" by the JW's. Worldly = bad, about ready to be destroyed.

• sir82
    sir82

Bethel has got to hate it every time she opens her mouth.

As I recall, she was never baptized, so they can't do a thing to her. And publicly responding to her would only draw more attention to her comments.

And she gives such weird screwball answers ("I'd be 100% all for him, but according to my religion, I'm supposed to be neutral....how do you like my miniskirt?"), she makes the JWs appear quite nutty (not that they need much help doing that, but when Serena speaks, millions will hear and/or read it).

• Satanus
    Satanus

If jehovah judges hearts, she's a gonner.

S

• knock knock
    knock knock

Yep, if it wasn't for my religion... I could do a whole lotta stuff I ain't supposed to do. That religion sure is a stumbling block sometimes.

• Quotes
    Quotes

She obviously didn't get the memo!

JWs are NOT supposed to say "I can't do this because of my religion" because then it makes the religion look restrictive, which is both bad publicity for WTS and also puts them in a legally dangerous position (I think it is illegal in some countries -- maybe Australia??-- for any organization to direct its members to NOT vote.

She is supposed to say "my careful and personal study of the bible has led me to the conclusion that I must remain neutral, and that means I personally choose to not vote. I make this statement of my own volition, without duress."

Now lets try it one more time from the top people!!!!! Come on now, the school play is only 6 weeks away!!!

And a one... and a two...

~Q

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

But you can wave the US flag at the olympics, you can wear skimpy clothes, date worldly guys and be a part of the glamour world??? ahhhh - the buffet of religion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit