How can I prevent harrassment to my kids from self-righteous dub relatives?

by candela 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• candela
    candela

I live with my hubby and children outside of my native country. We will be going home for a vacation soon after many years. We're faders and most of our JW relatives have adopted a don't ask-don't tell policy about our decision and we are perfectly fine with it. We get along fine, no pressure.

That is except one elder brother and his snobby pioneer wife. They hardly have any contact with us because of our "status", but on the rare ocassion they do, inevitably comes the lecture and emotional blackmail they do so well. I deal with it, so does my husband. But now that my kids are older, I have the nagging suspicion that they are going to go after them with questions and lectures. I just know it!

I want to enjoy my trip with my parents and the rest of my family without having this tension. I don't see them often and our parents are getting up there in age and I don't want to create a scene. But I have no clue how to prevent the inevitable from happening when it comes to the said brother/wife hollier-than-thou tag team.

Suggestions please! Especially about how to protect my kids...thanks!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Prepare the kids. If they get slipped a magazine, or if the snobs suggest that their parents might not "make it" in the "Big-A", then you can rightly make a scene.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Prepare your kids in advance. If they are harassed, maybe they could redirect the relative to their "spiritual heads" - their parents. My ex used to do that. If an elder bothered her she'd say, "Go talk to my head", forcing them to come to me.

W

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I agree with finally free. It puts the pressure RIGHT BACK on the offending party.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Tell your brother and sil that your kids are off limits. You are the parents, not them. No discussion of anything JW related, period.

And tell your kids if they do start to come tell you. So you can nip it in the bud immediately.

Have a fun trip!!!

momz

• candela
    candela

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll start working with the kids.

• avishai
    avishai

Easy. Don't take 'em around relatives that will do that to them, period. Harassment is abuse. Do you really want to subject your kids to that?

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Avi, you are a good daddy. I feel pity for any boy that tries to get near your daughter!

• Kinjiro
    Kinjiro

Somehow I have the feeling I know you Candela... if you are who I think you are then call your older brother, the d'f one! He is da man with da mouth! Rest assured they see him and they will disappear... :)

If you are not who I think you are, well I have a sister in exactly the same situation... and me being 'da older d'f brother will be there to 'intervene' and protect my dearly beloved nephews...

See you soon little sis....(if you are who I think you are)

• lancelink
    lancelink

my opinion is to pull the tag team over to one side when you all arrive.
    Tell them in respectful terms that you do not want them talking to the children about
    ANYTHING related to the JW's.
    You and your spouse are raising the children the way you see best, throw out
    Ephesians 6:1 ( Children be obedient to your parents in union with the lord)
    or
    1 John 5:21, (little children, guard yourselves from idols)

Hopefully they will get the hint and leave them alone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit