Why didn't Jesus write his own parts of the bible?

by Aphrodite 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

He was too busy leading a band of Jewish zealots trying to establish the Kingdom of God in Palestine?

Check out some of Joel Carmichael's work.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

He figured he had it covered, 'hiring' four 'secretaries'?

Who'd a thought they'd procrastinate and start writing decades later?

You get what you pay for, I guess.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

If taken at face value, I would imagine there wasn't much interest in writing and note taking in the early Christian church because you can't really expand much on "Love God" and "Love your neighbor" in a ritualistic sense.

It takes a Pharisee to elaborate on a whole list of rules and regulations, and geneologies, and traditions.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Your question makes an assumption that Jesus existed. Do you have any historical proof that such a person actually lived. And if so, it is a good question.

Blueblades

• Casper
    Casper
    It takes a Pharisee to elaborate on a whole list of rules and regulations, and geneologies, and traditions

Voideater,

Good One...

Maybe he couldn't write... Isn't that what they had scribes for. But, then again, he was suppose to be the "Son of God" so he should have been able to do anything...

Cas

• StAnn
    StAnn

james woods said:

Just to extend the point a little further, I have always wondered about the general lack of interest in written documents within the early Christian church. They seem to have been very casual in attitude toward their historical records.

You would think that they should have treasured the early written documents more than practically anything else - but in fact, nothing can really be found from within about three centuries of the original founders.

I'm a little bit confused. What writings are you talking about? I have a set of the Ante-Nicene Fathers that covers the first 300 years of writings. It's 10 volumes. There is also a 38 volume set available. Justin was born about 100 and was martyred around 165. His writings are fascinating. Polycarp's writings are in Vol. 1 and he was taught directly by St. John.

I remember asking the elders if any early writings existed and they told me "no." I was very surprised to find the Ante-Nicene fathers!

StAnn

• parakeet
    parakeet

He meant to write his memoirs when he retired from upending temple tables, violating Jewish law, declaring himself the son of God, and other seditious acts. But tragic (yet predictable) events intervened, and others had to write his biography.

Or maybe he thought his book would sound too pretentious if written in the first-person.

• Aphrodite
    Aphrodite

You are all very amusing. Do any of you believe Jesus is God/the Son of God? Can anyone who does believe it answer my question? I'd really love to know how you would answer.

Surely as the Son of God Jesus would know some of Gods plans for the "last days" and realise he needed to write it all down so us dumbo's would get it? Why did he leave it all up to those imperfect apostles?

• james_woods
    james_woods

StAnn wrote concerning the Ante-Nicene Fathers and the very early letters they left behind...yes, these appear to be about as authentic as anything existing back to around the 2nd century.

In particular, Clement, Polycarp, and Ignacius...worth looking up and reviewing.

But, my point was that compared to classical Greek or Roman, this is a pretty small body of work, especially considering the world-wide implications of the early Roman church and the eventual spread of Christianity.

And so, in many ways we are left with great mystery concerning the original Apostles, and the early church.

I think that someone else posted well about the hypocrisy of the Hebrew Scribes & Pharisees. Perhaps written scholarship was somehow tainted by some of their practices, and so was sort of alien to the early Christians?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

- "why did he not write an accurate account of his message?"

Probably because he didn't really exist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit