Painfully Long Prayers on the last day of the 3-day Conventions.

by blkblk13 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• blkblk13
    blkblk13

Anyone else HATE this practice? Uve been sitting all day 4 three days @ this place and u just wanna hurry up and finish ur cleaning assignment so u can go out to eat w/ ur friends, but Bro. Special Speaker from Bethel/or DO has to give a one man symposium during his prayer recapping every single moment of the past 3 days.

Its like they have this formula that they use to determine how long a prayer should be.

Meeting for field service prayers can b really short b/c the meeting for field service is only 15min.

BookStudies r an hour so the prayer must be 3 to 4 times as long as a FS prayer.

Sundy Meeting prayers r almost 2 hours so the prayer has 2 be double the length of the BS prayer.

District Conventions r almost 20 hours so the concluding prayer must be 10 times the lenght of a Sunday Meeting Prayer.

I wish someone would just walk up to the podium and say, "Thank u God for everything. In Jesus name. Amen." That would be perfect cuz gods omniscient so he knows what ur thanking him 4. lol.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

how about an extremely long prayer at the end of a seven-day convention in the Rose Bowl. Horrible, and then the worst traffic jam I've ever seen.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I remember saying my own prayer asking Jehovah to make the bastard shut up. Those long prayers were nothing more than a summary of the convention anyway. The guys probably pray from outlines provided by the society.

W

• Gopher
    Gopher

They did this both at the district conventions and the circuit assemblies too.

Even when I was a believing JW, I thought this was wrong. I always thought of Matthew 6:7.

7 But when praying, do not say the same things over and over again, just as the people of the nations do, for they imagine they will get a hearing for their use of many words.
  • lrkr
    lrkr

Reason is- giving the concluding prayer at a DC is evidence that you are damn spiritual. A giant of spiritualtiy. So, giants of spiritualty must drone on and on and on because they are so spiritual. Also, giving a prayer at a DC is a bit of an audition for giving more important parts.

• jehovahsheep
    jehovahsheep

i remember falling asleep and falling forward and almost knocking an elderly sister over.

• Quandary
    Quandary

The all time worst District Convention concluding prayer of all time that I had the misfortune of enduring through, was the year I was dunked, Fred Franz was in town vactioning and just dropped by to give the concluding prayer lecture. He droned on and on for over 10 minutes, I was looking at my watch the whole time. What a gas bag!!

Q

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

The super-long prayers are disgusting because it is so painfully obvious that the speaker is not directing his words to God but to the audience.

"...And may we all remember to fulfill our cong.'s cleaning assignment....and we are so thankful for the contribution boxes that you provided...help us to obey the elders..."

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

I really hated those loooong prayers. All they were another form of talks ,with a different twist. I never waited until the last talk anyway. As a family we just started to head out 15 minutes before the last song. If all went well we were on the freeway heading home during the last prayer. I got out of Dodge. I hated long traffic lines out of the parking lot. I also made sure they did not bock my car in the parking lot.

• avengers
    avengers

Let them pray their heart out. It ain't gonna help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit