Spirit Directed Organization..How?

by Blueblades 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

*** w07 5/1 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers ***

When does the calling of Christians to a heavenly hope cease?

The Bible does not reveal a precise answer to that question. We do know that the anointing of Jesus’ disciples with a view to their heavenly inheritance began in 33 C.E. (Acts 2:1-4) We also know that after the death of the apostles, genuine anointed Christian "wheat" came to "grow together" with counterfeit Christians, "weeds." (Matthew 13:24-30) Then, starting in the late 1800’s, anointed Christians were again prominently active. In 1919 "the harvest of the earth," including the gathering of the final ones of the anointed, began to be reaped.—Revelation 14:15, 16.

From the late 1800’s until 1931, the main thrust of the preaching work was the gathering of the remaining members of the body of Christ. In 1931 the Bible Students took the Bible-based name Jehovah’s Witnesses, and in the November 15, 1933, issue of TheWatchtower, the thought was expressed that this unique name was the "denarius" referred to in Jesus’ parable recorded at Matthew 20:1-16. The 12 hours mentioned in the parable were thought to correspond to the 12 years from 1919 to 1931. For many years after that, it was believed that the call to the heavenly Kingdom had ended in 1931 and that those called to be joint heirs with Christ in 1930 and 1931 were "the last" called. (Matthew 20:6-8) However, in 1966 an adjusted understanding of that parable was presented, and it became clear that it had nothing to do with the end of the calling of the anointed.

In 1935 the "great crowd" of Revelation 7:9-15 was understood to be made up of "other sheep," Christians with an earthly hope, who would appear on the world scene in "the last days" and who as a group would survive Armageddon. (John 10:16; 2 Timothy 3:1; Revelation 21:3, 4) After that year, the thrust of the disciple-making work turned to the gathering in of the great crowd. Hence, especially after 1966 it was believed that the heavenly call ceased in 1935. This seemed to be confirmed when almost all who were baptized after 1935 felt that they had the earthly hope. Thereafter, any called to the heavenly hope were believed to be replacements for anointed Christians who had proved unfaithful.

Without a doubt, if one of the anointed unrepentantly falls away, Jehovah does call another individual to take his place. (Romans 11:17-22) However, the number of genuine anointed ones who have become unfaithful is likely not large. On the other hand, as time has gone by, some Christians baptized after 1935 have had witness borne to them that they have the heavenly hope. (Romans 8:16, 17) Thus, it appears that we cannot set a specific date for when the calling of Christians to the heavenly hope ends.

How should a person be viewed who has determined in his heart that he is now anointed and begins to partake of the emblems at the Memorial? He should not be judged. The matter is between him and Jehovah. (Romans 14:12) However, genuine anointed Christians do not demand special attention. They do not believe that their being of the anointed gives them special "insights," beyond what even some experienced members of the great crowd may have. They do not believe that they necessarily have more holy spirit than their companions of the other sheep have; nor do they expect special treatment or claim that their partaking of the emblems places them above the appointed elders in the congregation. They humbly remember that some anointed men in the first century did not qualify to serve as elders or ministerial servants. (1 Timothy 3:1-10, 12, 13; Titus 1:5-9; James 3:1) Some anointed Christians were even spiritually weak. (1 Thessalonians 5:14) And sisters, although anointed, did not teach in the congregation.—1 Timothy 2:11, 12.

Hence, anointed Christians along with their other sheep companions strive to stay spiritually strong, cultivating the fruitage of the spirit and working for the peace of the congregation. All Christians, whether anointed or of the other sheep, work hard at preaching the good news and making disciples under the direction of the Governing Body. Anointed Christians are content to do this for as long as it is God’s will that they remain on earth as Jehovah’s servants.

*** w96 6/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

Can we say that God’s servants today who have the earthly hope have as much of God’s spirit as do spirit-anointed Christians?

This question is not a new one. This same matter was addressed in "Questions From Readers" in TheWatchtower of April 15, 1952. Many have become Witnesses since then, so we can consider the question and in the process review what that earlier material said.

Fundamentally, the answer is, yes, faithful brothers and sisters of the other sheep class can share equally with anointed ones in receiving God’s holy spirit.—John 10:16.

This, of course, does not mean that the spirit operates in the same way on all individuals. Think back to faithful servants in pre-Christian times, who certainly received God’s spirit. With power from the spirit, some of them slew ferocious beasts, cured the sick, even raised the dead. And they needed the spirit to write inspired books of the Bible. (Judges 13:24, 25; 14:5, 6; 1 Kings 17:17-24; 2 Kings 4:17-37; 5:1-14) TheWatchtower said: "Though not of the anointed class, they were filled with holy spirit."

From another angle, consider men and women in the first century who were anointed with holy spirit, becoming spiritual sons of God with the heavenly hope. All had been anointed, but that does not mean that the spirit thereafter operated in the same way on all of them. That is clear from 1 Corinthians chapter 12. There the apostle Paul discussed gifts of the spirit. We read in verses 8, 9, and 11: "To one there is given through the spirit speech of wisdom, to another speech of knowledge according to the same spirit, to another faith by the same spirit, to another gifts of healings by that one spirit. . . . But all these operations the one and the same spirit performs, making a distribution to each one respectively just as it wills."

Significantly, not all anointed ones back then had miraculous gifts of the spirit. In 1 Corinthians chapter 14, Paul mentioned a congregation meeting in which one had the gift of tongues, but no one present had the gift of translation. Nonetheless, at some earlier point, each one of them had experienced anointing with spirit. Would it be reasonable to say that the brother having the gift of tongues had more of the spirit than others present? No. Those other anointed ones were not disadvantaged, as if unable to understand the Bible as well as that one or unable to face trials as well. The spirit operated in a special way on the brother who could speak in tongues. Still, he and they needed to stay close to Jehovah and to "keep getting filled with spirit," as Paul wrote.—Ephesians 5:18.

Regarding those of the remnant today, they certainly have received God’s spirit. At one point it operated on them in a special way—at the time when they were anointed and adopted as spiritual sons. Thereafter they "keep getting filled with spirit," having its help when they seek to understand the Bible more clearly, take the lead in the preaching work, or face tests—personal or organizational.

Members of the "other sheep," though not having had the experience of being anointed, in other respects do receive holy spirit. TheWatchtower of April 15, 1952, observed:

"The ‘other sheep’ today perform the same preaching work as the remnant, under the same trying conditions, and manifest the same faithfulness and integrity. They feed at the same spiritual table, eating the same food, absorbing the same truths. Being of the earthly class, with earthly hopes and a keen interest in earthly things, they might interest themselves more in scriptures relating to earthly conditions in the new world; whereas the anointed remnant, with heavenly hopes and strong personal interest in the things of the spirit, might study more diligently those things in God’s Word. . . . Yet the fact remains that the same truths and the same understanding are available to both classes, and it is just how the individuals apply themselves in study that determines the comprehension of heavenly and earthly things they acquire. The Lord’s spirit is available in equal portions to both classes, and knowledge and understanding are offered equally to both, with equal opportunities for absorbing it."

• blondie
    blondie

*** w85 8/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

How does the holy spirit work along with the modern-day Governing Body in the appointment of elders?

The apostle Paul told Christian elders from Ephesus: "Pay attention to yourselves and to all the flock, among which theholyspirithasappointedyouoverseers, to shepherd the congregation of God, which he purchased with the blood of his own Son."—Acts 20:28.

Paul did not explain in detail how God’s spirit functioned in such appointments. However, we can gain insight from what occurred when the first-century governing body considered a question concerning circumcision. In summarizing their conclusion, they wrote: "For theholyspirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you, except these necessary things." (Acts 15:28) How did God’s spirit, his impersonal active force, contribute to the binding decision reached at that time?

Acts chapter 15 shows that first Paul and Barnabas outlined the question. Then a discussion took place. The apostle Peter related what had led up to baptism of the uncircumcised Gentile Cornelius and his household. Peter explained that ‘God bore witness by giving them the holy spirit, just as he did to us also.’ (Acts 15:7, 8; 10:9-48) Next Paul and Barnabas ‘related the many signs and portents that God did through them among the nations.’ (Acts 15:12) Thus, by its operation on Peter, Cornelius, Paul, and Barnabas, the holy spirit indicated that Gentiles did not need to be circumcised.

Yet there were additional operations of the spirit involved in that decision reached by the governing body. We can assume that they had asked for the help of the spirit on their deliberations. Such help may have moved the disciple James to recall the prophecy at Amos 9:11, 12, and to see its application. That prophecy had, of course, been written under the inspiration of the holy spirit. (Acts 15:13-20) Furthermore, "the apostles and older men in Jerusalem" who made up the governing body were Christians who were anointed with holy spirit and who manifested its operation in their lives, such as by producing its fruits.—Acts 15:2; Romans 8:14-17; 1 Corinthians 7:40; Galatians 5:22, 23.

So without there being some audible directive from heaven on the circumcision question, those of the governing body could accurately say that "the holy spirit" had led to their decision.

It is similar with the appointment of Christian men to be elders, or overseers, in the congregations today. Periodically a group of elders (likely including a traveling overseer of the Society) meet to consider recommending brothers for appointment as overseers. Those in the group have themselves been appointed as elders and they manifest in their lives that they have the spirit. Their discussion is opened with prayer for the spirit’s guidance. Then, during the meeting, they analyze whether each brother being considered measures up to the qualifications for elders set out in the Bible, which have been recorded under the direction of holy spirit. (1 Timothy 3:2-7; Titus 1:5-9) They also consider whether the brother evidences in his manner of life that he is "full of spirit and wisdom." (Acts 6:3) If they agree that he is of that sort and meets the qualifications to a reasonable degree, their recommendation is forwarded to the spirit-designated Governing Body or its chosen representatives. Later the congregation may be informed that the brother has been appointed.

Understandably, the appointed elder is still imperfect and may have limitations. But the apostles were imperfect, both before Jesus chose them and later when they served on the governing body. (Luke 9:46, 54; 22:54-62; Galatians 2:11-14) They certainly did, though, have God’s spirit and were appointed under its guidance. Comparably, brothers and sisters can be confident that ‘the holy spirit has appointed the overseers, to shepherd the congregation.’ (Acts 20:28) It is regarding such men that the counsel is given: "Remember those who are taking the lead among you, who have spoken the word of God to you, and as you contemplate how their conduct turns out imitate their faith."—Hebrews 13:7.

Remember that the words "governing body" do not even occur in the Bible (see WTS argument regarding trinity doctrine).

BTW the GB does not consider the appointments of elders but it is considered by "other sheep" jws at Bethel.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

It's one of the ways they maintain control. Saying they are spirit-directed keeps the rank and file from questioning anything they say. I remember pointing this out to an elder when he said that the society never claimed to speak for god, nor to be inspired by holy spirit. It's so contradictory to hear such claims as "spirit-directed organization", and "god's channel of communication", and then when they are wrong, hear them say they never claimed to speak for god. Any claim of being directed by the spirit is a control tactic, plain and simple.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Thanks all! Blondie you are a true gem.You can always be counted on to help us when we ask for something. Thank you so much for posting those articles.

Conclusion: The Watchtower Society is a man - made organization and many writers men and woman contribute to the articles being used at the conventions and in The Watchtower.

They keep dangling two sticks, the fear and the carrot. The amazing thing is that it still works for them.

Thank you for all your hard work and efforts. I still read your "COMMENTS" on the watchtower even if I don't respond to them as much, that is because someone else has already posted my thoughts.

Blueblades

• flipper
    flipper

I think they keep claiming to have " holy spirit " because they are arrogant, pompous egotists who want people to believe they are the grand almighty ! And it is an easy marketing ploy to get more and more witnesses buying into the false hopes they promise ! It's called, " cult mind control"

• VM44
    VM44

Thank you to those who searched out The Watchtower material and posted it here.

But...in the end, does any of the material The Watchotwer publishes mean anything REAL? or is it all just a made up house of cards?

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

The continually condemn themselves with their own words, it is a house of cards, and it will fall. To state (and this article was one of the first I printed out to show my wife over a month ago) that the anointed don't claim to have more HS than anyone else, but then state the the FDS is spirit directed is a complete contradiction and is evidence enough to challenge them on their whole 1919 concept.

• Honesty
    Honesty

nor do they expect special treatment or claim that their partaking of the emblems places them above the appointed elders in the congregation. They humbly remember that some anointed men in the first century did not qualify to serve as elders or ministerial servants.

Messed with a JW's mind.

Asked the JW, "How it is that an unanointed (is there even such a word?) group of 3 elders can determine whether or not an anointed JW can have a relationship with Jehover?

JW ran away from me.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Last Friday, two sisters' came to my door to offer a biblestudy. (yes, I signed up again onthe wt website) I told them what I really wanted was to learn a little about their beginnings and how they came to their understandings.

She said she could only offer me a bs..no history lesson, but I could get a proclaimers book at the library, I told her I had already seen at and I had questions about some of that too. She said, I could come to a meeting and maybe afterward I could talk to an elder.

BUT...she did tell me about getting direction from HS and his spirit directed org. I said...OH..wait..and you think YOU are the ones god choose? ..... She showed me some scriptures in Acts about circumcision. I was a bit disoriented trying to figure out how we got from Gods Holy Spirit to penis'.

Also, when talking about how the "light gets brighter" ...she gave an anology about a fourty year old still on breast milk.

She's supposed to call back and see if I want a bible study with one of their books. I'm going to ask for a bible study without the book.

lisa

• Poztate
    Poztate
    But...in the end, does any of the material The Watchotwer publishes mean anything REAL? or is it all just a made up house of cards?

It is indeed a house of cards and we all know they are not playing....WITH A FULL DECK.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit