Should I mention the pedophiles?

by reneeisorym 13 Replies latest jw friends

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I have been asked to speak about my experiences at my church Sunday to a group of 20-40 year olds.
    Any suggestions on what to say?

I'm especially considering if I should talk about the pedophiles ....

Here's what I have so far:

Tell them what they can’t read about in a book -- What life was like

What Life was Like then:
    Expected end of the world at any moment - didn't expect death or retirement …
    (Should I mention pedophiles? Someone very close to me was a victim so it cuts close to my heart)
    What I did have : Hope in a paradise earth to pet lions, tigers, and bears; Family

What caused me to leave and accept Christ
    Parents would not pay for college but wanted me to be a pioneer so I ran away from home.
    Knocked on door of a Christian who challenged me.
    Divorce from abusive husband and they would not allow me to ever remarry.
    Talk to Apostates out of rebellion
    Cousin who was a Christian and gave me lots to think about
    Final drama with the elders and my decision to DA

Experience talking with a JW lady I met in a hospital (She ended up hugging my neck and thanking me after I gave her a run for her money while preaching to me!)

How Life Has Life Changed:
    Had to accept the reality of death
    Wouldn’t have forever to have children
    Had to save for retirement
    I’m a Holiday nut – Decorate for everything.
    Morning for loss of family

• MominAustin
    MominAustin

I sat yes -- especially if it is that close to your past - tho not you directly

• Gopher
    Gopher

Just my $.02:

Since you were asked specifically to speak about YOUR experience, I'd say no (unless you came up against some of them while a JW).

If you're ever asked to speak again, you could get into all the reasons the JW's are false, including their doctrines and practices (including the kid-glove treatment afforded to pedophiles there).

• flipper
    flipper

Mention the pedophiles

• seek2find
    seek2find

One thing that comes to my mind and that I'm going through right now, is this. I show my wife how the Bible says that Jesus is the way to Salvation like at John 14:6 and Acts 4:12. She says she beleives that. But then turns around and implies that if I don't come back and get re-instated, I will die at Armageddon. It's inconsistent. JW's main problem is their reasoning on Matt:24:45-47. There is no "faithfull slave class", that was another of many illustrations Jesus used that wasn't meant to be taken literally. The slave represented individual Christians who were to do what their master wanted until he returned. In my opinion. The Watchtower sets itself up in the Place of Christ. Blasphemy! Sorry to vent, good luck with your presentation. seek2find

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

The victim was someone in my immediate family ... And this all came about because they were going to give two weeks to each religion around our area and I mentioned that I used to be a jw so all of them started asking me a million questions about doctrine and what life was about and their history.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I would say it depends on how much time you have. Your outline looks good and I didn't see a real good place to insert it.

Could you do a handout and give them some websites for more information -

http://www.watchtowerdocuments.com/

www.freeminds.org

www.jwfacts.com

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I would say definitely yes, and it can be inserted in the part where you talk about being married to an abusive jw husband. As a matter of fact, there are 2 new things in relation to child molestation in the organization. One is that the March 1, 2008 Watchtower featured Merton Campbell who was also featured in some of the 5,000 pages of court documents assembled by Barbara Anderson, where he for 30 years systematically covered up for and hid pedophile James Henderson, (who, btw, was convicted and sent to prison). The other thing related to child molestation is the fact that "Knocking" is going to be offered for free to the public school systems, which IMHO, is not a good way to introduce children of any age to jws. Relating that to your church may be a good way for parents and grandparents to contact their school boards and request it either not be shown or that a balanced view of jws be given. I already have a letter written to be sent to all of the churches and the school board in my city.

If you are interested in any of the points listed above and need some info, pm me, and I'll get everything to you. Good luck on your presentation.

• BFD
    BFD

It sounds as if the issue was a part of your experience if it happened to a family member. I would include it.

BFD

• John Doe
    John Doe

Women speaking in church? Tsk tsk tsk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit