Veil

by brofromzion 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brofromzion
    brofromzion

Matt. 22:1-14 ?..."The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son...But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes. 'Friend,' he asked, 'how did you get in here without wedding clothes?' The man was speechless. Then the king told the attendants, 'Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'..."?

In the above words, spoken by Jesus, it is clear that there is a regulation for God's people to wear wedding clothes when they enter the heavenly wedding banquet. It is a promise we make with God.

Likewise, when we worship God, there are certain regulations. Worship services should be held according to the teachings of God. Firstly, we should have a godly mind when worshiping God, and, secondly, women should wear veils.

By wearing veils, they can worship God with a godly mind. Men do not cover their heads during worship services.

God gave us this veil regulation as a sign representing God's authority. Even though this regulation seems minor, it cannot be neglected. None of God's commands were instituted meaninglessly. All of the regulations were given to God's people because they are necessary for our salvation and allow us to enter the kingdom of God.

Hos. 8:12 ?"I wrote for them the many things of my law, but they regarded them as something alien."?

If we regard God's regulations as trivial, God will regard us as trivial.

Christ commanded that during worship service men should not cover their heads, but women ought to cover their heads.

1 Cor. 11:1-6 ?Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ....?

The Apostle Paul emphasized that his teachings were from Christ, not from his own personal opinions.

1 Cor. 11:4-5 ?Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is just as though her head were shaved.?

Through Christ's teaching, we discover that men ought not to cover their heads, but that women should cover their heads while worshiping God.

During the time of Moses, the head of a woman stood for the man. Thus, it was regarded as very shameful if a woman uncovered her head in front of a man or even loosened her hair. In fact, when a Jewish man chose to marry a Gentile captive, he would shave the woman's head to wash away the shame of her prior ignorance of God.

The words, "It is just as though her head were shaved," refer to this very shameful occurrence.

Even through the Creation, we can see that men ought not to cover their heads, but that women should cover their heads while in the presence of God.

1 Cor. 11:7-9 ?A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man....?

God created Eve as Adam's helper. In the work of preaching the new covenant, too, man is the head and woman is the helper; however, men must not arrogantly ignore their female counterparts. As it is written:

1 Cor. 11:11-12 ?In the Lord, however, woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God.?

Could the gospel work be completed by only men? Or, if only women worked for the gospel, could it be fulfilled? Men and women should help each other in the gospel work. Both should remain devoted to their missions and faithful to the titles and positions given to them by God.

Our intrinsic nature, given to us by God, teaches us that men should not cover their heads, but that women should.

1 Cor. 11:13-15 ?Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?...?

This verse implies that it is not proper for a woman to worship God with her head uncovered. We unconsciously know that if a man has long hair he looks ugly, and it can even become his disgrace. God gave men "the nature" not to cover their heads.

"But that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering."Contrary to man, if a woman has short hair, she is not seen as beautiful. When a woman has long hair that covers her head, she looks beautiful, and it becomes her glory. This is only because God gave women the "nature" to feel beautiful when their heads are covered with long hair.

Through the "nature of things," God taught us that a man should not cover his head, but that a woman should cover her head. Verse 15—"long hair is given to her as a covering"—means that God uses a woman's long hair to subconsciously teach her that it is proper for her to cover her head.

As the Apostles preached the gospel, Christ's teachings spread to various Mediterranean regions. Initially, the veil regulation was obeyed without rejection. As people began to advocate gender equality, however, a question was raised: "Is there any reason for women to wear veils when men do not?" In the region of Corinth, women became repulsed at the thought of the veil regulation. In an effort to change their incorrect thinking, the Apostle Paul emphasized that women ought to cover their heads, explaining the deeper significance of this regulation.

Some versions of the Bible have section titles which summarize the contents of the chapter which follows. Let's look at some of the section titles used for 1 Corinthians chapter 11.

ESV (English Standard Version) - Head Coverings
    TEV (Today's English Version) - Covering the Head in Worship

These section titles display the Apostle Paul's true purpose in writing this chapter. 1 Corinthians 11 lists all of the reasons why women have to cover their heads during worship. No commandment of God is trivial. All of the commandments are given to us for our salvation and heavenly blessings. Women should cover their heads when they worship or pray so that they may give glory to God.

The Bible says,"Arrogance is like the evil of idolatry."

In some churches, the male priests cover their heads; however, this teaching is not from the Bible. A long time ago, when Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the Ten Commandments, the Israelites could not look directly at Moses' face because he was so radiant after meeting God. The people were afraid to come near him, so he put a veil over his face. When he went to speak with God, however, he took it off (Ex. 34:29-35). From then on, the Israelites covered their faces with shrouds when they read the Old Testament.

Just as Moses took off the shroud when he came before God, we are to meet God [Christ] without a shroud. In this instance, the shroud does not imply veils that cover the "heads" of women, but it signifies the shroud that covered the people's "faces" when they read the Old Testament.

Through 1 Corinthians chapter 11, we can understand that women ought to cover their heads during times of worship and that men ought not to cover their heads. Through 2 Corinthians chapter 3, we can understand that now, regardless of gender, we need to take away the shroud which has covered our faces and has not allowed our eyes to clearly see the truth of the Bible. God bless you all.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

My friend you are living under the law of moses. I'm under the law of christ.

The moon cannot say to the sun that she shines brighter than he.

• brofromzion
    brofromzion

God bless you LouBelle. The veil for women is under the law of Christ also, not just the law of Moses. 2000 years ago, Apostle Paul preached to the Corinth and told them that women should have their head cover when they worship and pray to God. We have to follow Jesus and the Apostles examples to show God we love Him.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open
    We have to follow Jesus and the Apostles examples to show God we love Him.
    We unconsciously know that if a man has long hair he looks ugly, and it can even become his disgrace.

• brofromzion
    brofromzion

God bless you Eyes Open. You know your comment sounds like someone who's ignorant of the Bible and insist his own opinion. That's just sad. Here let me enlighten you a little bit in case you didn't understand my post above.

1 Corinthians 11:1-16 [FOLLOW MY EXAMPLE, AS I FOLLOW THE EXAMPLE OF CHRIST. I PRAISE YOU FOR REMEMBERING ME IN EVERYTHING AND FOR HOLDING TO THE TEACHINGS, JUST AS I PASSED THEM ON TO YOU. Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. EVERY MAN WHO PRAYS OR PROPHESIES WITH HIS HEAD COVERED DISHONORS HIS HEAD. AND EVERY WOMAN WHO PRAYS OR PROPHESIES WITH HER HEAD UNCOVERED DISHONORS HER HEAD—it is just as though her head were shaved. IF A WOMAN DOES NOT COVER HER HEAD, SHE SHOULD HAVE HER HAIR CUT OFF; AND IF IT IS A DISGRACE FOR A WOMAN TO HAVE HER HAIR CUT OR SHAVED OFF, SHE SHOULD COVER HER HEAD. A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head. In the Lord, however, woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God. Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God.

It's clear as crystal Eyes Open. The Bible testifies that a man is not to have a cover on his head when he prays and worship God. But for the women, she should have her head covered or cut her hair off when she prays or worship God. That's why Jesus Christ didn't have His head covered when He prayed. God bless you Eyes Open.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open
    God bless you Eyes Open.

Thanks. All the best to you, too. (By the way, do you really think that your God is more likely to bless me because you've told him to when posting on a forum? Just wondering.)

You know your comment sounds like someone who's ignorant of the Bible and insist his own opinion.

To what comment of mine are you referring? My previous post in this thread was merely intended to point out that your assertion that long-haired men are ugly is entirely subjective and undermined by the popular image of Jesus. This isn't an opinion; it's fact. Some of us like long hair on men, and some don't.

I agree that Paul wanted veils for women. Why do you feel the need to suggest I'm ignorant of the bible and am opinionated?

• Sirona
    Sirona

brofromzion

you are a sexist crackpot

Sirona

• wobble
    wobble

brofromzion needs to read 1 Cor 11 not in isolation but in conjunction with the whole of scripture, for example Gal 3v28"There is neither Jew nor Greek,slave nor free,MALE nor FEMALE,for you are all one in Christ Jesus"

Is it logical to beleive that a man should not be veilled ,or wear a Tallith ,but a woman should?

Surely Paul is writing this so that NO christian worshipper wears a covering ,especially one connected with Judaism,and so verse 15 says"For long hair is given to her as a covering" not a veil.

Shalom to all on JWD

Wobble

• StAnn
    StAnn

brofromzion~where did this post come from? you been reading the new book released at the DC and noticed it discussing head covering?

StAnn

• ninja
    ninja

my mother in law should have a veil methinks....made of razorwire...just in case......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit