Elders Appreciation Day?

by Tired of the Hypocrisy 36 Replies latest jw friends

• MominAustin
    MominAustin

I only made it through a few seconds-yikes and wtf??

• r.a.m.
    r.a.m.

I don't know. Is this really any different that showing love to someone at their birthday party? You are honoring them, not worshipping, by giving them all this attention, and just because they got older. You give them lots of presents and sing a song to them.

I mean, imagine if Witnesses sang "For he's a jolly good fellow" to the elders? We'd probably throw a fit, yet we don't throw a fit when we hear people sing it at parties to someone.

Most of us are okay with birthdays, with graduation parties, anniversary parties...Maybe even to take someone out to eat who has been, what you feel, is a great help to you and others. Someone who you feel has put themselves out to be there, who has done more than necessary. And you may show your appreciation by taking them to eat, or buying them a present.

There are some congregations where the elders are a help. They and the MS's do a lot more "work" in the hall that the average person doesn't do, even though I know personally that there are people who aren't elders or MS's who do more, like actually being a listening ear when the old sister needs to complain or needs a ride to the doctor. Yes, those people are the ones doing the real work. But the elders and MS's do other work that the Witnesses seem to appreciate. So, whatever. I figure as long as they don't expect you to throw them a party, it's okay. I don't do things for other people so they'll give me a present. But if someone did give me a present, it would be very much appreciated.

It may be stupid. But I wouldn't call it worship anymore than I'd call a bithday party "worship".

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

r.a.m. - i think you've missed the point.

• r.a.m.
    r.a.m.

Hi SPAZnik. Yes I think I did miss the point. Is the point that witnesses say no to birthdays, Mother's Day etc. because we shouldn't give them glory, yet they accept praise and honor when they go to these parties? Then I think that's quite hypocritical of them.

At the same time, I can't hate them for honoring these people if I myself celebrate birthdays or honor someone for doing something kind for me by returning the favor. It isn't wrong to honor people, it is wrong to put them on a pedestal.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Wow, nicely put!

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

I never heard of this when I was in (grew up in MI) There were parties when bethelites would come, but it was usually more like "sister so and so is throwing a 'we miss you party' for her son" or something of hat nature... the same way to often do when someone first goes off to Bethel. But never did I see an elder or pioneer appreciation day.

OT but we sent a mother's day gift & card to my MIL who is still in. She thanked us and never mentioned anything "bad" about it. I think she knows she isn't supposed to, but enjoys it anyway. She is he type who would go all out for holidays if she could.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

I wonder if she'd have chosen this debased music if she realized it was composed as an AIDS benefit song?

Seriously, though. It reminded me of one of those American Idol auditions where Simon has his mouth open, aghast, and Paula and Randy are staring uncomfortably because they all know this person though they were the shiznit.

"That was AWFUL. Your friends need their hearing checked."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit