Is it wrong to burn people to death?

by DoomVoyager 35 Replies latest jw friends

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Alright. I was kind of wondering, since christians (at least, the type of christians who are apt to support the Old Testament god) are usually opposed to relativism, while you were supporting it. It makes more sense to me that you are an atheist.

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

Leviticus 20:14 (Amplified Bible)
    Amplified Bible (AMP)

14And if a man takes a wife and her mother, it is wickedness and an outrageous offense; all three shall be burned with fire, both he and they [after being stoned to death], that there be no wickedness among you.

I seem to remember the Society trying to embed the thought that burning anyone with fire, is a thought that Never would have come up in Jehovahs heart..(Isaiah?) Go figure.

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Well yes, that's the bOrg's main argument against hellfire. "A loving god would never ever torment anyone with fire!!"... and yet the bible tells us that he does. So either he isn't loving, or he isn't god.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

A semi-quote from a recent post: "Abortion, like all killing is wrong - except, of course, for capital punishment".

I've never understood this. If the Absolute is that killing is wrong, why is capital punishment ok? Makes not-killing a Relative truth.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

To answer your subject line question:

In my opinion, I feel that it is morally wrong to burn people to death.

It doesn't matter what they have done, or how superior you may feel in comparison with the person you are burning to death, in my personal opinion that burning someone to death is an evil and immoral act, and only an evil person is capable of such an immoral act.

At least according to the morale code that I have established for myself.

The Oracle

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

Can we take a vote? I actually said I would light 3 people on fire earlier today!

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

Hey wait a minute..

What if its OK for only GOD to burn ppl to death. People that He deems are wicked. Surely since he is GOD it would be perfectly Ok for him to burn to death ppl that are wicked. We wouldnt want wicked ppl to be walking around with ppl that arent wicked would we? Wouldnt that be in our best intrests?

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev
    That's debatable. I've read stories of people who were burned, and they said that the feeling was quite peaceful after the few initial seconds of pain. The real pain didn't start until they were pulled out and undergoing recovery. You only think burning is the most painful way to die. Truthfully, you can't know.

LOL....r u serious? When I think of peaceful, being torched wouldn't be my first choice!

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Hey wait a minute..

What if its OK for only GOD to burn ppl to death. People that He deems are wicked. Surely since he is GOD it would be perfectly Ok for him to burn to death ppl that are wicked. We wouldnt want wicked ppl to be walking around with ppl that arent wicked would we? Wouldnt that be in our best intrests?

"Surely since he is GOD it would be perfectly OK for him to burn to death ppl that are wicked"

Um...NO. It is not perfectly OK.

I would consider any being, no matter how powerful, no matter how all knowing, to be an evil monster, if he chose to burn people to death that he deems to be wickid.

The Oracle

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

[p]1. "I found it interesting that even though christians ALWAYS claim a moral highground over atheists, mostly due to their stance on things like abortion, cheating".[/p] [p]2. "Atheist have a clear, definite answer: Yes, it is always wrong to burn people to death, no matter what the circumstances."[/p] [p]I'm unclear why you think all athiests think and feel the same way about these things.[/p] [p]1. Not all athiests are pro-choice, and I have no clue what you think athiests think about cheating. I think most people in general are not okay with it. You think athiests want to be cheated on or don't mind?[/p] [p]2. Same problem, not all athiests think definitively that burning a person to death is always wrong.[/p] [p]I am what I consider an open-minded agnostic, but basically an athiest. Although I tend not to believe in God, I feel that saying absolutely there is one or there isn't one is close-minded. My husband is an athiest and I can tell ya, neither of us is okay with cheating on one another; and I happen to think that there are crimes against humanity that would be deserving of death by fire (ex. ordering genocide or the attempting genocide).[/p]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit