Is it wrong to burn people to death?

by DoomVoyager 35 Replies latest jw friends

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

I'm an avid reader of Steve Wells' blog on religion and atheism. This article discusses the Hebrew God (we all know him as Joe Hoobie) and his propensity for burning people to death.

http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/2008/06/is-it-wrong-to-burn-people-to-death.html

(in addition to what's mentioned there, I would also like to recall the instance where Joe Hoobie personally roasted Aaron's two sons to death.)

I found it interesting that even though christians ALWAYS claim a moral highground over atheists, mostly due to their stance on things like abortion, cheating, etc etc, in this case that argument is thrown back in their face.

Atheist have a clear, definite answer: Yes, it is always wrong to burn people to death, no matter what the circumstances.

But christians (the fundamentalist types, anyways) simply can't answer that question, because they are confined by the actions of their barbaric mesopotamian sky-fairy.

Discuss.

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

Yes it is wrong.

People will do the most cruel thing to other people, as long as they believe they have no Man to answer to.

And if they believe they have God's approval then God help us !!!!!!

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Atheist have a clear, definite answer: Yes, it is always wrong to burn people to death, no matter what the circumstances.

Since burning to death is one of the most painful ways to die that makes atheists infinitely more merciful than Bible-God(tm), doesn't it? It's bad enough that asshole Bible-God(tm) has to kill people and leave them to be dead forever, but it is sickening that he would go to extra lengths to make their dying as miserable as possible. Like for what? To teach them a LESSON? What lesson? They're never going to see life again.

Of course, it is also imprudent to get upset over ancient fairy tales and a fairy tale God!

Farkel

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Lev 20:14 And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.

Seems a little brutal, as the blog mentions "what a little counseling could do"

I don't recall Aarons sons being burnt...where is that do you recall? I've lost touch with the bible.......somewhat

h4o

• Thylacine
    Thylacine

Since I am a firm believer in that people made god in their image, I think it is only natural that their deities would have the capacity for as much evil as is present within some humans.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Atheist have a clear, definite answer: Yes, it is always wrong to burn people to death, no matter what the circumstances.

Young people tend to see in absolutes. Most often experience teaches us as we get older that there are very few absolutes. I have no doubt that not all atheists will agree with you. Would your answer remain the same during warfare? What if there was a psychopathic maniac bent on destruction and the only means you had to stop him was a flame thrower? Would it still be wrong to burn him to death? The world is not so simple.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Since burning to death is one of the most painful ways to die that makes atheists infinitely more merciful than Bible-God(tm), doesn't it? It's bad enough that asshole Bible-God(tm) has to kill people and leave them to be dead forever, but it is sickening that he would go to extra lengths to make their dying as miserable as possible.

That's debatable. I've read stories of people who were burned, and they said that the feeling was quite peaceful after the few initial seconds of pain. The real pain didn't start until they were pulled out and undergoing recovery. You only think burning is the most painful way to die. Truthfully, you can't know.

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

Perhaps Perry can shed some light on what God is thinking. Oh..Perry...

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

So, are you going to answer the question, John?

I'll demonstrate how it's done by answering yours:
    If a raging lunatic was running at me with a knife, I'd use my flamethrower to clobber him on the head. ;) And by the way, you're not so much older than me. I don't think you've earned the right to talk to me in a condescending manner quite yet.

Leviticus 10:1-2 (Aaron's sons)
    Numbers 11:1 (an unspecified number of complaining Isrealites)
    Numbers 16:35 (250 of Korah's incense-burners)
    2 Kings 10:10-12 (Elijah says, "If I am a prophet of Jehovah, let fire devour you and your men! Fire descends from heaven and roasts 102 men.)

• John Doe
    John Doe

Doom, I've had a lot of experience for my age. That, however, is not relevant. I'm telling you what I see. When I see someone acting juvenile, I will point that out, regardless of our relative ages. Whether you choose to listen is your prerogative. However, I've already demonstrated that the absolute in your initial post is false. I'm an atheist, and I do not agree with your statement of what I believe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit