books you would recommend... anti-witness and otherwise???? SHARE!!!

by New light for you 45 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You mentioned "A History of the End of the World, How the Most Controversial Book in the Bible Changed the Course of Western Civilization," by Jonathan Kirsch. How coincidental. During my vacation, I was reading "The Harlot by the Side of the Road" by Jonathan Kirsch and loved it. Now I am currently reading the one you speak of. It's better than the other.

OTWO

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The Myth of Certainty: The Reflective Christian & the Risk of Commitment, by Daniel Taylor

• ninja
    ninja

captives of a cornflake.....sorry ...I meant captives of a concept.....great wee book

• Twitch
    Twitch

George Orwell - "1984" & "Animal Farm"

Carl Sagan - "Cosmos"

Perhaps not directly anti-witness but good to start with nonetheless.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

MISTAKES WERE MADE (BUT NOT BY ME) is a great book about
    cognitive dissonance.

• kzjw
    kzjw

Captives of a Concept- Don Cameron...it illustrates that most of the R&F are not at fault, they simply "bought in" to the idea of the FDS. A quick read (151 pages) it also blows away Matt 24: 45-47 and Proverbs 4:18 (new lite). get the PDF, I think its about 8 bucks...

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Just happening to be ordering on-line at this moment for a few books...thanks for the ideas everyone.

Anyone read any of these?

Jonathan Kirsch is the author of ten books, including the national bestsellers The Harlot by the Side of the Road: Forbidden Tales of the Bible, King David: The Real Life of the Man WhoRuled Israel, Moses: A Life, and his most recent work, God Against the Gods: The History of the War Between Monotheism and Polytheism.

h4o

otwo--mistakes were made book in the reviews it looks like a real good read, just ordered it.

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

"The Four Presidents of the Watch Tower Society" I found very interesting. People here have mentioned the shock at books like "The Sign of the Last Days. When?" which really did get me going. But the "Four Presidents" book really got me angry with how those in charge right at the top acted despicably.

The part that stood out to me was when Knorr was challenged about getting married, and he kicked out the person that challenged him, being that the person who challenged him asked if he could marry a few years previous. The guy ended up dead on a park bench because of sleeping outside in the cold, having no where to go after leaving Bethel, and everyone in Bethel and also the surrounding congregations were ordered not to slip him money or feel sorry for him.

It gets inside the mind of those people responsible for the WT machine.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I thought I had read the most important books... but I just ordered 10 books from Amazon after reading this thread...lol...

If you don't see me on JWD in a few weeks, I'm busy reading...

A@G

• New light for you
    New light for you

thanks so much ! yes, it's time we all brush up! Amazon is gonna LOVE me!!!

NewLight

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit