books you would recommend... anti-witness and otherwise???? SHARE!!!

by New light for you 45 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR

Studies in the Scriptures [Volumes 1-6]

30 Years a Slave of the Watchtower

Crisis of Conscience

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

apocalypse delayed is a good read so far. in search of Christian freedom also excellent by Franz.

• JAVA
    JAVA

The True Believer, by Eric Hoffer is a great read. Copyright 1951, and it's easy to find in most used bookstores; it might still be in print. It's about the willingness to join a cause or group from Christianity to modern nationalism. One can't help seeing the JW mindset while reading this enjoyable sociological study by Hoffer.

I know a Witness who was working on a college degree and found the book in the LRC. He pulled it off the shelf and read it from cover to cover before leaving the library. Needless to say he's no longer under the Tower's control.

• yknot
    yknot

I would like to also add ...

Reading the older post on JWD......such rich history and wealth of knowledge through sharing of experiences!

Curious has Maximus ever but his life story down on paper or pdf?

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

Carl Sagan's "The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark"

THis book is where i first heard the expression "more ppl have died in the name of God than in the name of satan"

thought provoking........

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Non-apostate, biblical scholarship which is presented for the lay-person:

How to Read the Bible: History, Prophecy, Literature - Why Modern Readers Need to Know the Difference, and What It Means for Faith Today

Can't recommend it enough for those who have been exposed to fundamentalist belief systems.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

The Signs of the Last Days by COJ and Wofgang Herbst. (this will both make your blood boil and make you feel very relieved to be out of the misquoted "truth").

I am reading this book now and strongly encourage you to read it next. Awakened at Gilead's description is right on. It takes the fear out of what they have told us about Famine, Earthquakes, Pestilences and Wars.

This book should be on our 'short list' for newbies to read.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

The End of Faith, by Sam Harris.

• New light for you
    New light for you

Thanks so much! We should have a "recommended list" for newbies!

I have some research to do tomorrow on amazon.... Thanks! Drinks for everyone ON ME!!!

NO OOMPA, that DOESN"T mean a wet T-shirt contest!

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

We can't put this one down: "A History of the End of the World, How the Most Controversial Book in the Bible Changed the Course of Western Civilization," by Jonathan Kirsch.

Amazon has it for $14.95.

Bestselling author of "A History of God," Karen Armstrong, said about Kirsch's latest book: "An important book that is essential reading in our torn, conflicted world: it is articulate, learned, and balanced."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit