Do Jehovah's Witnesses LOVE their enemies?

by Terry 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• S3RAPH1M
    S3RAPH1M

It's a fake love, puckered up with only lip service, no emotion or reasoning involved.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS and its members resemble this scripture, only saying but not doing:

(James 2:15-16) . . .If a brother or a sister is in a naked state and lacking the food sufficient for the day, 16 yet a certain one of YOU says to them: "Go in peace, keep warm and well fed," but YOU do not give them the necessities for [their] body, of what benefit is it?

• Terry
    Terry

Today I'm thinking about what Peter did publicly in renouncing his connection with Jesus. He denied even being around Jesus!

It wasn't one slip out of fear either. Peter humiliated Jesus and all he stood for by disavowing any connection with the preaching and teaching and miracles!

THREE TIMES!

And what was the result of this apostacy????

Think about this and compare Jesus' response to being, in effect, shunned by Peter.....with how your local Elder at the Kingdom Hall reacts to a disfellowshipped person or perceived apostate.....

JESUS GAVE HIM (PETER) THE FRICKIN' KEYS TO THE KINGDOM!!

Jesus simply understood and automatically did not count Peter's denial, disavowel and repudiation against him!!

What does that say about JW treatment of those perceived to be opposers?

The worst Jesus ever did concerning Peter was to call him an opposer and tell him to get out of his way! Jesus did not SEND him away to be ignored in isolated silence!

What a contrast!!!

• carla
    carla

Terry, I brought that example up to my jw but his response was that Peter was 'special' and we cannot compare ourselves to an Apostle. So should we or should we not emulate Jesus or the Apostles? (as you know my jw often gets things mixed up, though we haven't had an all dayer in awhile maybe he has it all down by now?)

• Mary
    Mary
    How do JW's love their enemies?

Why-----by preaching to them of course! I'm surprised you even had to ask this Terry! tsk, tsk.......

• Terry
    Terry
    carla: I brought that example up to my jw but his response was that Peter was 'special' and we cannot compare ourselves to an Apostle.

Fallacy: Special Pleading

Description of Special Pleading

The person committing Special Pleading is claiming that he is exempt from certain principles or standards yet he provides no good reason for his exemption. That this sort of reasoning is fallacious is shown by the following extreme example:

Peter was 'special' and we cannot compare ourselves to an Apostle.

From a philosophic standpoint, the fallacy of Special Pleading is violating a well accepted principle, namely the Principle of Relevant Difference. According to this principle, two people can be treated differently if and only if there is a relevant difference between them. This principle is a reasonable one. After all, it would not be particularly rational to treat two people differently when there is no relevant difference between them. As an extreme case, it would be very odd for a parent to insist on making one child wear size 5 shoes and the other wear size 7 shoes when the children are both size 5.

While determing what counts as a legitimate basis for exemption can be a difficult task, it seems clear that claiming you are exempt because you are you does not provide such a legitimate basis. Thus, unless a clear and relevant justification for exemption can be presented, a person cannot claim to be exempt.

There are cases which are similar to instances of Special Pleading in which a person is offering at least some reason why he should be exempt but the reason is not good enough to warrant the exemption. This could be called "Failed Pleading." For example, a professor may claim to be exempt from helping the rest of the faculty move books to the new department office because it would be beneath his dignity. However, this is not a particularly good reason and would hardly justify his exemption. If it turns out that the real "reason" a person is claiming exemption is that they simply take themselves to be exempt, then they would be committing Special Pleading. Such cases will be fairly common. After all, it is fairly rare for adults to simply claim they are exempt without at least some pretense of justifying the exemption.

Examples of Special Pleading

1. Bill and Jill are married. Both Bill and Jill have put in a full day at the office. Their dog, Rover, has knocked over all the plants in one room and has strewn the dirt all over the carpet. When they return, Bill tells Jill that it is her job to clean up after the dog. When she protests, he says that he has put in a full day at the office and is too tired to clean up after the dog.

2. Jane and Sue share a dorm room.

Jane: "Turn of that stupid stereo, I want to take a nap."
      Sue: "Why should I? What are you exhausted or something?"
      Jane: "No, I just feel like taking a nap."
      Sue: "Well, I feel like playing my stereo."
      Jane: "Well, I'm taking my nap. You have to turn your stereo off and that's final."

3. Mike and Barbara share an apartment.

Mike: "Barbara, you've tracked in mud again."
      Barbara: "So? It's not my fault."
      Mike: "Sure. I suppose it walked in on its own. You made the mess, so you clean it up."
      Barbara: "Why?"
      Mike: "We agreed that whoever makes a mess has to clean it up. That is fair."
      Barbara: "Well, I'm going to watch TV. If you don't like the mud, then you clean it up."
      Mike: "Barbara..."
      Barbara: "What? I want to watch the show. I don't want to clean up the mud. Like I said, if it bothers you that much, then you should clean it up."

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

Here is the real question "dose a chicken have lips?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

How do JW's love their enemies?

I was told that it was shown to them by action - going door to door, bringing them the good news. sammieswife.

• M.J.
    M.J.

The JWs hardly have any real enemies. Not very many people care either way.

For the vast majority of JWs, the real enemy is simply, DOUBT.

So anyone who can facilitate the contraction of this condition is considered the enemy.

This is really what's behind all the nonsense about staying out of college, avoiding the "bad association", and shunning "apostates".

This is a manufactured enemy. An enemy only in the JW mind, backed by the WTS instruction to shun and hate anyone who can spread this disease.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Excerpt from "Age of Propaganda. The Everyday Use and Abuse of Persuasion", pp. 243-244,
    chapter titled, "How to Become a Cult Leader":

[interestingly, the writing department has this book. They quoted from it in that famous Awake! article in the 90s titled "Don't be a victim of Propaganda"]

If granfalloon techniques are correctly applied, then you should be successful in creating fear of the "outside" world and the belief that the cult is the only solution to a happy life. Life is thus impossible outside the cult--the only solution to life's problems.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit