Would you care for your elderly JW parents in time of medical need?

by sweetstuff 19 Replies latest jw friends

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

This thought came to me as result of another thread on healthcare. Alot of people consider caring for their elderly parents to be a burden, mentally, physically and economically. So my question is this, add into that the emotional upheaval of being shunned or semi shunned by your parental units due to their faith in "Jehovah's organization" (I physically gag when I even type that, lol) would you turn your back on them and said, payback is a bitch isn't it? Or would you care for them anyhoo, considering that regardless of religion, they did care for you as a child and feel a sense of responsibility to return that favor, despite what pain and hurt may have occurred since?

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I would, if she let me. After nursing my grandma (her mom) until she died of cancer, my mom just said to put her in a nursing home if she was that ill.

momz

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

We'll see when we get there.

I do want to stay on my dad's good side.

He's gonna be married to Jesus in heaven so he might have some pull.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

He's gonna be married to Jesus in heaven so he might have some pull.

• Scully
    Scully

It would all depend on whether I even knew about it.

The way things are now, I seriously doubt that I'll even be informed of their deaths, never mind their deteriorating health.

• Mary
    Mary

Absolutely. In fact I do it now, although they're still mostly independent. I cook alot of their suppers now as they're in their mid 70s and my brother helps them with alot of their yardwork. My parents have a huge piece of property and a few years ago my dad started to complain of how it was becoming more difficult for him to cut the grass. He couldn't afford a riding lawnmower (thanks to the idiotic advise he got from the elders in 1950 telling him NOT to pay into the company pension plan), so all of us kids chipped in and bought him one. He loves it and whereas it used to take him about 2 1/2 hours to cut the grass, he can now do it in about 40 minutes.

I'm lucky in the fact that my parents don't shun me, even though I know they're very disappointed that I've stopped going to the meetings. The only thing that really bothers me is of course, having to watch them grow old and knowing that they're going to die one day in the not too distant future.

• yknot
    yknot

Of course.......

• Wee John
    Wee John

...i am in Australia while my parents are in Scotland.The thought crosses my head all the time and at this point in time i say let their cong. look after them if anything happens...after all they chose them over me... so yeh lifes a bitch.(yep still angry)

• changeling
    changeling

My 84 year old parents (elder Dad) live with us. I have nursed them through several life threatning illness and numerous less serious issues.

So, I guess my answer to your question would be : yes.

changeling :)

• sacolton
    sacolton

If you do: Jehovah is taking care of them.

If you don't: Proof that Satan's spawns are evil.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit