Shock and Awe Doctrine/Changes- Watchtower Comments

by burningbridges 12 Replies latest jw friends

• burningbridges
    burningbridges

Hey everybody, I wanted to compile some watchtower / book references of doctrine changes or absolutely horrific comments the watchtower has said to show to my soon to be ex husband (I'm trying to get him to drift, so far it is NOT working, like at all, but I'm hopeful.) here's a good example of something that did shock him though!!!! the watchtower said this about apostates and how they would like to be able to kill them:

Questions

fromReaders

Inthecaseofwhereafatherormotherorsonordaughterisdisfellowshiped,howshouldsuchpersonbetreatedbymembersofthefamilyintheirfamilyrelationship?—P.C.,Ontario,Canada.

We are not living today among theocratic nations where such members of our fleshly family relationship could be exterminated for apostasy from God and his theocratic organization, as was possible and was ordered in the nation of Israel in the wilderness of Sinai and in the land of Palestine. "Thou shalt surely kill him; thy hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him to death with stones, because he hath sought to draw thee away from Jehovah thy God, . . . And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is in the midst of thee."—Deut. 13:6-11, AS.

Being limited by the laws of the worldly nation in which we live and also by the laws of God through Jesus Christ, we can take action against apostates only to a certain extent, that is, consistent with both sets of laws. The law of the land and God’s law through Christ forbid us to kill apostates, even though they be members of our own flesh-and-blood family relationship. However, God’s law requires us to recognize their being disfellowshiped from his congregation, and this despite the fact that the law of the land in which we live requires us under some natural obligation to live with and have dealings with such apostates under the same roof.

- W 52/11/15p.703 Questions from Readers.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Thanks for posting this!! I have a few family members to email this one to! Disgusting isn't it? I used to say if they were allowed to stone people they would..now its there in black and white.

• jamiebowers
  • shamus100
    shamus100
    The law of the land and God’s law through Christ forbid us to kill apostates, even though they be members of our own flesh-and-blood family relationship.

And I know Dubs are secretly sad over this one. But boy oh boy - they just can't wait till armageddon to watch us BURN BURN BURN!!! Just you wait to jehoblah comes and keels you, you infiideell!

• V
    V

Noted

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I do recall a more recent intimation "unfortunately we cannot kill apostates so we must wait for Jahbweh to do it for us" comments.... Maybe even from an article this decade.

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

Yup, that's an absolutely classic quote.

What I love is that the question is:

how should such persons be treated by members of the family?

And the response is to explain for two solid paragraphs why we should not kill them. As if we needed a whole lot of convincing. The WT is practically like a hostage negotiator here, trying to get us to take the knife away from their throat with the assurance that God will do them in for us.

A good one to share with both dubs and non-dubs alike.

Imagine someone casually asking a dub workmate, "Hey is it true that you practice shunning of family members who disagree with your religion?"

and the dub responds,

"Well we certainly don't kill them! That's against the law, and we must obey the laws of the land!"

Creepy.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Yep. That's a Freddie Franz classic. I've cited it many times. The thing that really bothers me is that he is almost lamenting or sad that the laws won't let WTS murder at-will those they don't like.

There is a similar statement about that time that also lamented the fact that witness parents were prevented by law from stoning to death their own children who were considered to be rebellious. Nothing like good old days when a few smart ass kids got torn to shreds by a she bear for wisecracking to one of God's own prophets, eh?

"Hey dad!"

"Yeah, what?"

"You're a butthead."

"Stay right there junior while I get some rocks."

Farkel

• oneairhead
    oneairhead

noted

• burningbridges
    burningbridges

Found what you were refering to from the lovely link provided up above!!!!

Watchtower 1960 February 1 p.80 Mildness and Self-Control Yield Peaceable Fruit

17 There may be rare instances where a child is so hardened in its stubbornness that even the rod of correction cannot drive it out. In the days of Israel parents were instructed by Jehovah to take such a rebel to the city fathers and they, in turn, took the incorrigible one out and stoned him to death. There were no juvenile delinquents under such a system. (Deut. 21:18-21) So also today, the New World society of Jehovah's witnesses can not and will not tolerate juvenile delinquency to exist in its midst. So, to avoid a possible death-dealing blow by being disfellowshiped from the congregation, wise theocratic children give heed to and follow what God's Word says: "Children, be obedient to your parents in union with the Lord, for this is righteous." "You children, be obedient to your parents in everything [this leaves nothing out], for this is well-pleasing in the Lord." "Listen to your father who caused your birth," the Proverb says, "and do not despise your mother just because she has grown old."-Eph. 6:1; Col. 3:20; Prov. 23:22.

[Emphasis Added]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit