So it happened...I met with my Mom and Dad...

by Confession 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• Confession
    Confession

Brief historical recounting...

3rd generation of 4 generation JW family. Elder for three years. Realized "The Truth" wasn't in September of 2004. Tried to fade by moving from Michigan to southern California in June of 2005 with my (then) 17 year old daughter (who eventually left the organization herself.) Told Mom I no longer believed in the WTS in March of 2006. I've been shunned since then, except for a couple of tense phone calls to Mom. A couple of months ago I realized my company would be sending me to within an hour's drive of them, so I called and suggested we meet. After two weeks they e-mailed me, telling me they would.

I had no idea what to expect, but wanted to be prepared, so I finally completed the letter I'd been writing to my mother since that original phone call in 2006. I posted it here: "Letter to My Mother--FINAL!--After 2yrs3mos--Incomprehensibly Long..." I e-mailed the document to the young lady at the hotel's front desk and had her print out two copies of it. Yes, it came to a full thirty pages. I kept both copies in my black, leather folder just in case.

Well Mom and Dad showed up at my hotel around 5:45pm on Saturday evening, May 31st. Mom got out of their mini-van and greeted me tearfully, hugging me, saying, "Jon, it's been nearly four years!!!" It's actually been nearly three years; minor miscalculation. I came over to the driver's side, and gave Dad a hug too, then got into the back of the van. We drove through downtown Midland, Michigan, looking for a place to eat dinner, Mom and Dad engaged in their usual light bickering. We finally decided on the local Applebee's.

I had decided that I wouldn't broach anything related to my departure from the Watchtower Society. But if they insisted on discussing it or pleading with me to "return to Jehovah," I would go there.

So...they didn't go there. At all. I couldn't believe it. I mean it was the proverbial elephant in the living room, but, other than talking about bits of their lives that certainly revolve around congregational activities, they let it go. We talked about my new home in Arizona, how my daughter was doing in college, things related to my career... They told me about my three siblings and their families, some of their plans for the Summer, etc. I detected no tension and we really didn't run out of things to say.

When we got back to the hotel, I ran in quickly to retrieve the present I'd gotten for them. It was a live cactus plant, so they could think of me in my new desert setting when they looked at it. Mom got out and embraced me, crying loudly. Of course she always used to do that! But this time it was quite a bit more sad. I told her to come and visit me in Phoenix; I'd use some of my many frequent flyer miles to bring her and Dad out sometime. I really couldn't hear her over the sobs, so I didn't continue along these lines.

So, although I spent more than two years working on that thirty-page letter, I didn't actually give it to them... In a way, it's a little disappointing. I'd so love for them to read what I wrote. But, the truth is, Dad is 75 and Mom 74. I see no reason to try to bring their world down--even if I could. And, the fact is, if they're okay with talking to me while adopting a "don't ask, don't tell" policy, I'm okay with it too.

That said, I'm glad so many of you enjoyed the letter, and I hope it proves helpful to someone.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

What a confession, Confession

Right thing to do, all things considered - your polemic will not go undelivered though.

• nameless_one
    nameless_one

I am one who read and was deeply affected by your letter, so I've been awaiting this update. It's funny, but this seems like a beautiful result actually; it sounds as if you can keep your family, and that they love you and want to be in your life. Considering that your parents are elderly and firmly entrenched, "don't ask, don't tell" might be a pretty good outcome, and much better than some of the alternatives.

It's interesting how things go sometimes. That letter was a work of art and a gift from the soul. Even if your parents don't ever read the words you wrote, I have the feeling that lots of other parents and siblings and children and spouses and friends all around the world will be reading them. You created and shared something remarkable.

I'm glad things seem to have turned out OK for you and your family, and that your parents seem willing to crack open the door again. I hope it's a new beginning for you all.

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

I really doubt any ex-JW's are very interested in "converting' jayDubs to the truth. The motivation is to combat the interpersonal madness it creates. No madness, no reason for war. I'm glad it worked out so well for you. Bring_the_Light

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I'm glad the visit was good. You'll have that to remember for a long long time.

Oh, and the letter is absolutely fantastic.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I'm so happy for you, Confession. I understand the bit of a disappointment, but more importantly the relief.

How awesome that you were able to hug and visit with your parents. Excellent.

Love to you,
    Baba.

• Spectre
    Spectre

Right on!

• yknot
    yknot

I am so happy for you!

The fact that they met with you and didn't talk about the Borg is amazing.

Perhaps you should try another meeting in a year or so as to become a "practice"

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I'm glad your visit turned out well....

, Dad is 75 and Mom 74. I see no reason to try to bring their world down--even if I could. And, the fact is, if they're okay with talking to me while adopting a "don't ask, don't tell" policy, I'm okay with it too.

This is exactly the way I have felt towards my mom...why bother now. I'm sure they are thinking about their life expectancy these days at the age they are...my mom does

so much. Children become extremely important so they tend to reach out to make peace if all possible. Perhaps this is the case for you.

Best Wishes,

Hope4others

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I'm glad. Good outcome. I hope it stays that way for the rest of their lives - and your letter wasn't wasted. It not only clarified for you all your objections to the WTBTS, it will be helpful to others who need that information in their own struggles. Good for you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit