-Let's say you had never heard of the Bible:

by Awakened07 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Thanks for replying (and thus 'bumping' my thread that I had forgot about).

Keep it coming.

My 'plan' with this thread was not to have religious people post their beliefs so that I in turn could 'bash' them.

-I want this thread to be a collection of the best evidence for the Bible being the word of God, the Creator of the universe, presented in such a way that it would convert said villager.

And, following that, people could look over said evidence, research it, and come to their own conclusions (and no, they wouldn't have to come to my conclusion).

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I'm afraid I already know too much about the Bible and Judeo-Christianity to come up with a useful argument in support of it.

Now, what I imagine is this: A spacefaring race makes contact with humanity. We are dazzled by their advanced technology and information on star travel and other life in the galaxy. Let's say they have "religion" and tell us about their belief system and "holy" writings. So much of what they teach seems to make sense that hundreds of millions of humans study and adopt this new "religion".

So, what do we have here? One could assume right off the bat that these aliens simply know more than we do. Additionally, they appear wealthy and prosperous. Let's say that they actually practice what they say that they believe. But, at the same time they are tolerant of other cultures to the point that even the most fundy types among us have nothing bad to say about them.

Basically, one adopts what is perceived as a more advanced culture (which often includes the dominant religion) to acquire the improved living conditions and better fitness for survival of that culture, assuming one isn't coerced into it.

All science fiction aside, perhaps we can reverse the original question. What would attract a Westerner to an Oriental religion like Buddhism? Is it in depth knowledge of Buddhist holy scriptures or the general good vibes one gets from basic Buddhist philosophy and meditation? Perhaps the question could be stated to the Christians on the board, "what would it take to convert you to Buddhism?"

Dave

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

What evidence that the Bible is true could the preacher show you, for you to convert?

Theres about as much evidence the bible is true as there is that we evolved from an amoeba.

Zilch.

I've been googling and researching both topics for the past 10 years.

Leads me to think there is something mysterious going on like reincarnation.

We can make computers and technological gadgets.

But we cant figure out where we came from.

And there is no solid evidence of a God communicating with us.

So I'll say we are god/ spirits having human experiences.

And part of the game pleasure and ammusement is the ignorance we keep ourselves in.

Truth is where you find it.

Adam and Eve ate the fruit, at least in part because they were bored with paradise.

We left paradise and come here for the entertainment.

When we die we go back to paradise/ heaven hang out till were bored and come back again.

Maybe its a boyscout type program where we get merit badges for coming back in all the different life forms.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I would apply the same test to the god of the bible as Elijah applied to this other god...

1 Kings 18:27

At noon Elijah started to make fun of them. "Shout louder, since he is a god. Maybe he's thinking, relieving himself, or traveling! Maybe he's sleeping, and you have to wake him!"

Yup... when god does not answer your prayers, it's because god is too busy taking a sht.

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

OK I guess Awakened actually wanted the best arguments FOR the Bible and not just our sarcastic comments or skeptical commentary. I'll offer this:

The Bible predicted things hundreds of years in advance that came to pass. No man could have done this; it must have been God. Cyrus was named as the liberator of the Jews 200 years in advance.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Turn his rod into a snake.....turn my rivers to blood...frogs, kill my firstborn...that would do.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07
    The Bible predicted things hundreds of years in advance that came to pass. No man could have done this; it must have been God. Cyrus was named as the liberator of the Jews 200 years in advance.

-Now we're talking! That's the stuff.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

What evidence that the Bible is true could the preacher show you, for you to convert?

None! It's not about evidence. Evidence doesn't convert you, the Holy Spirit does.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07
    None! It's not about evidence. Evidence doesn't convert you, the Holy Spirit does.

Well - conversion by Holy Spirit would constitute evidence of the Bible's truthfulness and validity in my book, so I'll still jot it down on my list.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit