-Let's say you had never heard of the Bible:

by Awakened07 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Let's say you've grown up in a country that - somehow - has shielded you completely from any knowledge of the Bible and its God and history.

All your life you've believed in the four legged, three headed, four winged Borlifingus (of course, the arms, legs etc. are just representations of It's spiritual properties). You and your ancestors have prayed to your God, and It has answered, many times. You also have anecdotal evidence of Its existence.

And here suddenly along comes a Bible believer wanting to convert you, and tells you that the God you've believed in all your life and your ancestors all believed in, is false - doesn't exist.

-Let's say you're not going to just take it by what this preacher is telling you; you need some hands-on evidence.

What evidence that the Bible is true could the preacher show you, for you to convert?

Examples, please.

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

He could conquer my people and say "My God beat up your God. Wanna convert now?"

• d.boon
    d.boon

1 Thessalonians chapter one

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Sorry, I edited and changed the game slightly.

• Robert7
    Robert7

In most areas they were probably convinced by the food, shelter, and other humanitarian goods available after they say they believed it.

• d.boon
    d.boon

The words of Christ, never has a man spoken or thought like him before. A man filled with spirit and truth so if you listen to him you will be convinced of it.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

-I have to go, but keep'em coming.

Remember, you are the villager wanting confirmation of the Bible's divinity.

Also remember that you already have many spiritual experiences and wise teachers in your tribe, along with your very own anecdotes and written words of wisdom.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Personally I don't think that anything out of a book could convince you: The christians will say you have to open your heart up to christ - Who is to say that this god didn't appear to say the Native Americans in a way that they understood - ie in Nature - in the Eagle, the Wolf, the Bear

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

The proof never comes from the Bible, does it?

Look at the "proof" provided by the JWs to their converts. These "converts" are, by and large, already Christians and thus already believe the Bible. So the "proof" is simply in the skillful manipulations of Biblical interpretations, twisted logic combined with aggressive mind control techniques.

Now let's move to Awakened's scenario with the tribe who has never heard of the Bible, and in fact, has their own established belief system.

The proof must come in the form of something other than an appeal to logic.

There is a South Park episode in which Christian missionaries are trying to teach the Gospel to starving Ethiopians, who are so hungry they occasionally try to take bites of their Bibles, provided free of charge by the missionaries. In Bible class, the Ethiopians are uninterested in study until the missionary promises food as the reward for Christianity.

Let's see... how were the Native Americans converted? Hmm... does the term "conquistador" come into play here?

• S3RAPH1M
    S3RAPH1M

What would convince me is if the preachers God, communicated simultaneously with all the worlds peoples revealing itself to everyone all at once. That to me would be the true revealed religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit