No Girls Scout Cookies for you!

by independent_tre 31 Replies latest jw friends

• sacolton
    sacolton

One of the first things I did after I DA'd, my wife (active JW) and I were walking into Wal*Mart and the Girl Scouts were there selling cookies ... I bought a box of the chocolate mint cookies. What a wonderful feeling! My wife ate a few later. :)

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Thin mintsWe always bought them when I was growing up, but always felt a tad bit naughty for doing so, almost like we were getting away with something. Girl scouts and boy scouts were always frowned upon in our congregation, it was definately not something we could have participated in.

BW

• HB
    HB

I am a Guide Leader (UK equivalent to Girl Scouts) and have been in the Guide Movement for 45 years. I love it and am proud of it's achievements.

In 1907 Lord Baden Powell (the founder) deliberately called his experiement the Scout Movement, not the Scout Organisation as he wanted it to move forward with the times and stay relevant to the youth of the future. Although the activities the young people get involved in are quite different nowadays to those of 100 years ago, the core purpose has not changed. Countless children and adults have benefitted all around the world. If only the Watch Tower Society could say the same! By being negative about Girl scout cookies they just make themselves look mean and foolish.

Guiding and Scouting aim to give children and young people opportunities to try new things and expand their horizons, develop their skills and talents, learn to be good citizens, contribute to their local community, gain leadership skills and self-confidence at the same time as making new friends and having loads of fun. (This includes the adults - dangling upside down on an abseiling rope on rocks during a thunderstorm at camp was certainly a new experience for me!) I am just off now to set out a treasure hunt in the local woods ("The search for the Golden Tootle-Warbler") for my 36 Guides for our meeting tonight so am hoping it won't rain! In comparison what can the WTS claim they have done for children? Taught them to sit still during meetings?

Incidentally if any of you are trying to make new friends outside the WTS and move on from the past I would highly recommend volunteering to help with the Scouts or Guides - you don't have to have previously been a member or have any special skills or experience and you will find it is a warm and friendly 'family' and will give you a real sense of fulfillment and you will know you are doing something worthwhile.

Heather

• Londo111
    Londo111

My family, including elders and pioneers, often bought girl scout cookies.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

Never a JW, so my daughter was a Girl Scout for a couple of years. I have a rather funny story about these delightful cookies and me. When it comes to my kids I always would get involved in their activities. Sooo, my girlfriend hinted to one of the regional leaders that you might ask the Rebel if she would consider being the Regional Cookie Mom. Well I have always had this big problem with that crazy 2 letter word NO. OK so about 30 days before sales are to begin I get this friendly call to remind me that it is time to make sure my garage is completely cleaned out and ready to receive this tractor trailer full of girl scout cookies. WHAT!! Not only that, then I find out I was responsible for the delivery of these over three rural counties to each troop. Thankfully I had a large extended body conversion van at the time. I had a serious talk with my girlfriend about volunteering my services in the future. LOL.

• just fine
    just fine

Where I grew up Girl Scout cookies were a big no-no. When I left and finally tried them I fell in love with trefoils! Now I buy them whenever I can.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Yup, Girl Scout cookies were a big no no for us, too.

Also, if you attended a carnival or street festival, you could never buy food from any churches or church organizations.

Better to give your $5 for lunch to the local Rotary Club.

Interestingly, you could not join 4H, but it was okay to buy food from them at the local fair.

• Dagney
    Dagney
    blondie - There is nothing in writing. Not even saying that your children can't join. It is done by word of mouth but I know many jws who buy and/or eat Girl Scout cookies.

Growing up JW the cookies were a no-no, and thinking about it now...no reason why! I think it was something crazy from back in the day for my parents. True, I think dubs buy them now.

Stupid religion.

• janusfulcrum
    janusfulcrum

True story. An elder gave a talk using an illustration of GS cookies. "One person might like Thin Mints, another Trefolis" to illustrate different people, different preferences. He wasn't saying GS cookies were bad at all! He got some flak for it. Funny, that he chose GS cookies to make that illustration when he could have chosen a multitude of other ways.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

FTS to that!

Every single year for the last 20+ years I've been buying and eating Girl Scout cookies from my co-workers.

Gotta divide the BS from the WTBTS and what's real. Very important to use intelligence, common sense and critical thinking.

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit