No Girls Scout Cookies for you!

by independent_tre 31 Replies latest jw friends

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

Even though, I was raised in a witness home, I never remember hearing that girl scout cookies were a no-no. And even though I've only been baptized for a few years, I don't remember any specific admonishment of these sweet treats. But recently at work a Jdub coworker made it a point to remind me that JW's do not buy or eat girl scout cookies. I did a search for literature on this and came up with nothing.

Anybody ever heard of this?

(probably good for me, as I can max out an entire box of those d@mn thin mints )

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

I have always bought the cookies.....maybe, that's where it all went wrong for me!

• blondie
    blondie

There is nothing in writing. Not even saying that your children can't join. It is done by word of mouth but I know many jws who buy and/or eat Girl Scout cookies.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

As Blondie says, it is an extrapolation of Watchtower axioms, resulting in the Cookie Nazi.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Hmm, you must've heard that from some Nazi-like dubs. I've heard of no such prohibtion on Girl Scout cookies.

The only way someone could be offended by the cookies is if they have a problem with the Girl Scouts organization, which is possible...

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

According to the Watchtower its wrong to watch Bugs Bunny, and thats in print too! so what hope does Girls Scout cookies have??

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

Pretty much anything that resembles something a person who isn't insane is at least frowned upon.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

it:

I did a search for literature on this and came up with nothing.

no..nothing in the literertrash....but I remember way back in 1988 at Pioneer School we had a whole discussion about that very subject...

it included other things like buying fish at a Catholic Church fish fry, buying Girl Scout Cookies, doing work for churches etc....etc...

the consensus was that it came down to "fair market value"....if you were buying a box of Thin Mints (cause there is nothing like a thin mint ) and that is equivalent in price to other boxes of cookies at the store, then it is a matter of conscience.....on the other hand, if you bought a fish sandwich at the church fish trailer, but it was $10...then either it was a mighty fine sandwich or you are actually donating something extra to the church and shouldnt do it...... I kid you not..this conversation went on for over an hour... included other things like "would you accept a janitorial account at a church? ...answer.... you would submit such a ridiculous bid that they wouldnt take it and if for some reason they did take it you would go ahead and do it because you dont want to get sued and maybe Jehovah was blessing you in some strange way........LOL

can you believe the Pharisaical nitpicking? and nothing in the Bible or even the Whacktower to back up all of these opinions!

now....where can I get me some of those Thin Mints.....

Snakes ()

• Casper
    Casper

I bought them every year, enjoyed them and never gave it a thought...

Cas

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My mother, a jw, buys them every year from my daughter. I just sent off her 5 boxes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit