Do you get upset when people don't believe that same way you do?

by loosie 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• loosie
    loosie

Is it a normal reaction to get mad when you talk to someone who doesn't believe that way you do?

The reason I ask is that I don't believe in the most common christianity. When i come across a person and they ask how I feel about something and I tell them how I feel. If they are christian they actually get mad that I don't believe their way. When I come across a pagan or anyone other than christian even if I don't believe the way they do they don't get mad.

So I have started to dodge the question or outright lie when christians ask me questions about such things. That way I don't start a fight.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Depends... religion, politics or stuff that usually, by it's nature is divisive, no... you can have an opinion and I will have mine.

Technical stuff...especially what is "safe" or "unsafe", productive or unproductive or costs or saves .... well, at this point ...dont argue with the "big dog". I didnt get this old and ugly listening to wrong people.

Hill

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

HB, your turn of phrase always cracks me up!

• blkblk13
    blkblk13

4 me is depends on what the topic is. Religion or relationships don't get me very angry. Race and sexuality do though. There's nothing that can piss me off more than some bigot that wants tell me I'm inferior b/c of my race or b/c Im gay. Surprisingly it seems like there are more and more of those kinds of bigots popping up online recently, so Ive been increasingly p.o. lately. lol.

Politics can also get me hot under the collar. Ive gotten into some near fistfights w/ Republicans. Then they find out Im a J-dub and I don't vote anyway which leaves them quite confused.

I think historically Christianity is a very insecure religion. Incapable of the live and let live mentality of say, Buddhist. Many Christians rimmediately threatened by beliefs contrary to their own. I think this stems from the common Christian teaching that anything not found in the bible, or that doesn't agree w/ that denomination's interpretation of scripture, originates from the devil. Therefore, when Christians r confronted w/ new age ideas or things simply different they go into this "Holy War" mode which is just a defense mechanism to fight the devil. Underlying it all is fear.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Naw, it takes all kinds.

I can learn a lot about people from their views. Sometimes its not easy to listen to. Sometimes I have to step back and think about it for a while, but mad? Naw. Even if I dont agree, its nothing to get mad about.

• megawatt
    megawatt

I use to, when I was a witness. Now that I'm out, I've learned to appreciate the opinions of others especially about religion, even if it's different from mine...

• llbh
    llbh

No not at all i love diversity, and loathe intolerence, My friends are all very different yet i love them.

david

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

Nope, I get upset when people insist that I have to believe the same way they do.

• oompa
    oompa

no...as a rule no....so why have I been so eaten up with trying to get my wife and son to belive like me? like banging my head against a tree for three years....not healthy for a marriage....but it keeps rearing its ugly head..........oompa

• RR
    RR

No, what upsets me are those who claim to follow a certyain faith or denomination and don't even follow its tenets. They want to pick and choose what they like and reject what they don't like, while still claiming to be a member of this or that faith.

RR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit