Why are witnesses asking if householders know ASL?

by Chloe 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Chloe
    Chloe

I'm pretty sure this has been covered before, but I don't remember the explanation. This weekend 2 very obviously JW ladies were in my neighborhood. When they came to my door, the leader said they were with a "volunteer group" looking for those who knew ASL or needed the service.

I asked what kind of volunteer group. She evaded a straight answer by replying a religious one. That annoyed me that she wasn't more forthcoming so I asked which denomination. She finally said JW's. Being the nasty person that I am, I said I wouldn't point anyone to that cult. I said it is a cult and that I knew all about it. They started hotfooting it away, but I yelled that I thought it was disingenuous of them to not say who they were in the first place.

Anyway, is this just a new campaign strategy or is the Borg really looking out for the deaf?

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

IMO, they are trying to expand their work to deaf ones, offering them the hope of a paradise where their hearing would be restored.

momz

• blondie
    blondie

They handle this like they do foreign speaking people. For example Spanish congregations set up territories by going door to door and asking people if they are spanish speakers. They sometimes use an address calling on people with spanish sounding last names. With ASL I think they get lists for harding of hearing groups. OTWO might know more of the specifics.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Publishers in the ASL groups canvass territories this way so they can find deaf householders . My son was in ASL groups for a while and this was just one way to get time in for field service .

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It's an act of deception...a sneaky way to get their foot in the door. Doesn't seem honest does it?

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Interesting. My sister was an interpreter for most of her life. Still is and works secularly at a school (If I remember right)

In our congregation growing up, everyone went to ASL class. I did OK, and can carry on a broken ASL conversation...but not like her. They had her go to a congregation that was completely deaf attendees in NY. She left quite a few years back, but I know they are pushing very hard for help now. IT is expensive to pay your interpreters. So I can see them needing and not wanting to pay.

• Chloe
    Chloe
    It's an act of deception...a sneaky way to get their foot in the door. Doesn't seem honest does it?

That's how I felt. I live in a fairly small town and can't imagine that there is a large hearing impaired population here.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

It could be that since the WT doctrine tickles the ears they figure it would be a natural match for deaf people.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

When I was first baptized in 1985, the gal whom I was living with and who was the POs wife and I decided we needed an interpreter because we had two sisters who were deaf and they were galantly trying to lipread, but in those days guys with mustaches could hardly be read at all...so this gal and I TAUGHT ourselves very rudimentary Sign English because we didnt know from ASL. We did that a couple years at conventions and meetings, I have myself on tape at Janesville taking turns doing it. We sucked but I learned a lot. Then a few years later they decided that only ASL could be used, and they wanted us to go to training wtih this signing guru from Bethel...I think his name began with a Z. Dark haired man...anyway. We had classes and had to try out to continue to sign which I thought was not fair...but they wanted to make sure we werent using any WORLDLY signs for things like spirit, bible, God...you know...even there they HAD to make sure we were following the Borg.

Then it got to the point where only brothers could sign certain talks...and you could count your time if you were signing the PUBLIC talk..stuff like that. Then they went and formed their own congregations and it has evolved a lot since then. That sister who started out with me actually does it for a living now as well as signing at their congregation. They are or were...in charge of the deaf congregation in Oak Park, Ill. Her husband absolutely WASNT going to learn sign and he was forced to do it LOL! But now he is very good at it.

When we would go out in service for the deaf, I sucked so bad that I usually drove the car around the five county area of Chicago tracking down the deaf. They all seemed to know each other and had TDD directories and such but it would take alllll day to do. My field service numbers were amazing LOL!

Perhaps so many people are leaving that they dont have interpreters any more?? (waving jazz hands clapping wildly!! )))

LD

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

In Montreal there is a very large deaf community. So large that they have their own telephone book. So deaf people were easy to find if you had the book. But every now and then they would go wandering door ro door looking for more deaf people.

I learned to sign and after I left the JWs I had a few jobs interpreting.

I loved it. And I was good -- ask mouthy. She used to watch me.

But shortly after I left in 85 changes meant getting certified and I was busy in school.

I can still sign and try not to let it go because you just never know when it might come in handy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit