new revised New World Translation

by isaacaustin 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This is an interesting development considering Rolf Furuli argued the brackets were unnecessary when discussing Col 1:15-20:

Thus, there can be no doubt that from a linguistic point of view, the translation "all other" is perfectly legitimate in Colossians 1:16-17, 20. It is not mandatory, but it is possible. This means that the brackets that the NWT uses around "other" may be removed, because the word "other" is no addition or interpolation, but in a given context is a legitimate part of pas. The Role of Theology and Bias in Bible Translation p. 254.

Watchtower literature has on occasion taken up suggestions first presented in independent Witness apologetic literature, as when the reference Bible reproduced Nelson Herle's tables comparing translations of anarthrous predicates in an appendix. However rumour on the forum has it that Furuli is not exactly popular with CO's and higher-ups, being at odds with the current view of higher education, so maybe it is just a coincidence the Society appear to be following his suggestion on this issue.

Plus it is not clear to me if Furuli is arguing only in relation to this passage that the brackets are unnecessary or seeking to make a more general case for removing brackets as the recent NWT editions seem to have done.

• VM44
    VM44

I think if the original writer wanted to use the word "other", he would have inserted an additional Greek word meaning "other" in the sentence.

• oompa
    oompa

I just wonder what their bible would look like in 1000 years.......wooohooo scary...it already does not look like any other bible in the world...hey lurkers....how many kingdom hall libraries have those insidious j-versions???? why did they add the name jehovah to the christian scriptures? Why do no other modern bibles add the name to the christian scriptures????....please look into this.....please

• tfjw
    tfjw

Oompa, good question about those J versions being in KHs. I bet 10 in 11 don't have them. I doubt they could read them even if they did have copies.

Some "J versions" say "Jehovah is Jesus" but the Society was selective in which passages they used.

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

Was reading over this thread and was curious if they ever told the masses at the halls about this change and if so how

was it handled? Was a letter read from the platform, or a question box in the kingdom ministry used to handle it, or

has it just been glazed over?

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

5 years later. Still no [de-bracketed] NWT in the works...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit