Dog Owners: Can you help choose a dog for an older person........

by restrangled 38 Replies latest jw friends

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

A German Shepherd is a good dog too. I had one when i was little. I had walked to my neighbors house to see the peacocks without telling my mom. She sent Charlie out to find me and he drug me back with my shirt in his teeth.

Our neighbors have a huge GS named Luther. They have 7 kids, the youngest is 2. He is in the house mostly, and goes outside but stays in the front yard with the kids. The go nowhere without him.

momz

• Gregor
    Gregor

Chihuahuas are very snuggly

• Gregor
    Gregor

Chihuahuas are very snuggly

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

German Shepherds are great dogs, but big time shedders. Labs are great dogs, especially for people with children who will romp with them. We have one. A HUGE one. Not fat, just huge. Purchased from a kennel of hunting labs by my son and his wife. Six months later the dog became ours. 60 pounds (at 7 months) of muscle and dragging ability. I took him to obedience school, worked him to death at home, and he did well.

Watchdog? Yes, he races around barking wildly at everything from a car on the road below our house (which he can't even see) to turkeys in the garden (big threat there) to goldfinches landing on the back deck. He also likes to jump in the lap of unsuspecting visitors. All 110 pounds of him.

He is our first and last labrador.

To be fair, though, he was bred to hunt, not to be a house dog, from a hunting kennel. Poor choice. He needs children who will run and play with him 24/7. We don't have any left at home. And he is an American Lab, not an English one. English labs are much quieter.

Also, I didn't raise him from a puppy. He had six months of dragging little kids around, totally untrained, before we took him on. And he is a really loving, devoted dog. When he isn't racing around barking.

He's a real lovie. And our neighbor didn't sue us for the back injury. Yet.

SusanHere

P.S. Ever consider a shetland sheepdog? They look like miniature collies. Very alert. Females shed much less than males. Just don't get a nervous one.

• restrangled
    restrangled

The problem with german shepards .....they get very stinky. Yes they are lovies, but we owned a rental home and the renters had a large female German Shepard they kept in the laundry room at night.

When they moved out, the smell was so intense, we had to replace the floor and repaint to get rid of the odor.

My Dobes get smelly but that is after a month. They calmly walk into the shower and get scrubbed down,.....sometimes they actually lay down during their showers which is difficult, because I can't get underneath them. They get too relaxed from the warm water and don't want to stand up.

They also love getting towled down, and wait for it......they are males but act like females at a spa!

I think for my mom I am looking at an older lab....thanks to all for your help!

r.

• changeling
    changeling

How about a Miniature Schnauzer? They are very smart and very loyal. They are very protective of "their" family. They are also very sturdy and strong for a smalish dog. Oh, and they don't shed.

changeling:)

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

Since you have decided on an older Lab, I suggest trying a google search for 'florida labrador rescue'.

I'm not personally crazy about labs but an older rescue may just fit.

Good Luck!
    Hope

• restrangled
    restrangled

Changling....we grew up with a min. Schnauzer, what a dirty dog. He loved my mom but every chance he got escaped and cleaned out the various sewer vents in our area.

He finallly did himself in during the winter and my mom cried for a week. She found him frozen out side of one of these vents after one of his disappearing acts a block away.

I am not set on a Lab, although the breed seems like a good solution for my mom.

Its so hard to understand what a person wants as far as pets.

I would have never considered myself a dog person, but after adopting my 2 Dobermans I could never live without them. They just had their semi monthly shower, and were absolute angels. They smell beautiful, and seem to know it. They have pranced around like prized ponies, and then hopped up into our bed knowing they smell good.

r.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Speaking as an older person I would want a dog big enough to scare but yet not so big that it would knock me down or trip me.

I wonder if there is a place where you can "Try" a dog out?.
    See how the dog acts in her house..and if it can be housebroken..you will also see how it reacts to visitors.
    If it doesn't work out you can trade it for another.

Often they adapt to the person that owns them but if it was raised around kids it may be too frisky.

My son found a stray yellow lab and it was the sweetest and smartest dog..my son loved it..but then the owner caught up with him and we had to give it back.My older daughter felt so bad for him she went out and bought him a lab puppy..well that was just the stupidest dog I have ever seen.It dug constantly and the holes would fill up with water and he would lay in the mud.He barked all the time! I know that is probably natural for them but the other dog didn't do that. Each dog developes his/her own temperment so I would really find a place that will let you try it out first.

My daughter has two Leonburger dogs and they could knock me down and drag me 50 feet easily..the one like to lay in her doorways and block your path so you have to step over him or if you are doing something he will lay behind you and if you aren't careful he will trip you...the other gets out of the way and lays down.
    The funny thing is that when my daughter and I have walked them they are angels. They walk like it is their job.

Another thing about bigger dogs is they have a very short lifespan and often hip problems which could mean a lot of trips to the vet.,as one poster mentioned already.

I think the best bet for her is to try and find one she can become attached to that will bark at intruders..that way you can stay with a smaller dog that wouldn't be too much for her to handle. She can also put it on her lap and cuddle with it...

That's the kind of dog I would pick for me..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit