Dog Owners: Can you help choose a dog for an older person........

by restrangled 38 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

We suddenly have had many breakins during the day in our neighborhood. It's getting worse by the week.

My mom is alone in a large house with many glass doors and windows. She is home a good portion of the day but is getting very frightened. She has an alarm system but its too much for her to figure out and use.

She is a real animal lover and has owned smaller dogs in the past. The problem is she wants to get a larger dog to warn her when someone is approaching the house or at the door. It doesn't have to be a killer type, just a good watch dog that is good with older people. I have 2 Doberman's, but feel this breed is probably too much for her to handle, although they are gentle and sweet as lambs with the family.

Do you have any suggestions? Also she has a 10 year old cat that likes dogs.

Thanks if you can give any suggestions. I have looked a lot on the internet and it seems an airedale might be good.

r.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

I love terriers, but I don't think a terrier would be the best fit for an older person. But, if she can get out and walk this dog, and/or put it in a large enclosed area during the day, then a terrier would be great, I guess.

Any kind would be naturally protective of their territory, some more than others, of course.

• frozen one
    frozen one

I don't know about a specific breed, but if you took a trip to the local animal shelter I'm sure you would find a perfect fit.

Breakins suck. Have you thought about personal protection? If not a firearm, maybe a big can of pepperspray and a backsaw (really effective and can be purchased at any hardware store). Also a phone in her bedroom is a must.

Good luck.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Octarine Prince, She is having her yard fenced in soon in prep for a dog....it will be a fairly large area, but she doesn't want a digger. We had a wirehaired terrier, and a schnauzer growing up. Both were escape artists! She needs a dog who will be happy inside too. She will not be leaving the dog outside. She is also wanting a full grown dog and will probably adopt from a shelter....need to hear about experiences with breeds of dogs.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Small breeds like the Chihuahua are territorial and set up the alarm very loudly. They also are "lap" dogs who give a lot of companionship and can get enough exercise to be healthy just running aound inside the house... They tend to get overfed, so watch out for that. The worst possible dog would be one that requires a lot of daily outside exercise/play. My mother tried a Jack Russel Terrier once and it was a very bad match with an older woman and a rambunctious outdoor dog. By the way, a BullDog is not a bad idea. Not the animal but the BullDog .44Special.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Restrangled..Labs are large,easy going,good watch dogs and love spending tome with their owner................Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

You could look up the breeds of dogs they use as seeing eye dogs. I agree with Outlaw, Labs are the best IMO. Loyal and protective, and very smart. Maybe an older one from the shelter, that would be happy sitting at her feet all day.

You can get her a key fob for her alarm system. And a touch pad. Mine says Stay, Away, and Night. Disarm is a four number punch.

momz

• restrangled
    restrangled

Frozen One, My mom doesn't have good hearing and a firearm is out of the question. She is 73, very spry and looks great for her age, but I don't think would be capable of using pepperspray under stress! She would probably end up spraying it backwards on her self.

Gregor, we found her a Chihuahua about 6 months ago. They didn't connect. She was a good little barker, but peed and pooped all over her house no matter how many times my mom walked her. It was older and a female. She finally gave it to a friend. My mom was sad for days even without the connection. I think she likes males better. My own Dobes adore her. If I could find an older Doberman I would love that breed for her. I happened to luck out with 2 half brothers very well trained and charming, but I think its a rarity.

r.

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Collies are VERY loyal and make great watchdogs too. We have a collie-lab mix and he's spooky smart, very protective and very well behaved.

BW

ps: by collie I mean standard collie, NOT border collies which are extremely active and require TONS of exercise. good luck!

• restrangled
    restrangled

Outlaw, I didn't realize Labs were good watch dogs. That would be good breed for her, especially an older one. I thought they needed tons of excercise, were hard to train, and too friendly with everyone.

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit