Is there any good?

by passwordprotected 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• *summer*
    *summer*

Could you please ask her to make a list of the "good" and kindly post it here for all of us to see?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Thinking back I cant think of the "good"? As was stated here already other religions can also do some good in them, ( more than I experienced in the WT) they feed the hungry,open up their buildings in cold weather for the homeless to sleep? does the K.H? NO.
    What good came out of being a witness for me? I had to stop smoking,( which I am glad about now)
    I was taught to to speak to the Public( which I have done a lot now)
    It made me tough, by taking all the bashings I took from my hubby( he wanted me to stop being a JW)
    It taught me to do & say things that I wouldnt dream of doing now. like what?
    1 .Judging others.
    2.Thinking I know all about GOD
    3.Not helping others no matter what their beliefs.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There is absolutely nothing good about the Washtowel Slaveholdery that cannot be had otherwise. They require people to quit smoking--some have, and it has helped with their health. But many people in the world also quit smoking (or refrain from starting in the first place). And the "secret" society I joined to slap the witless religion in the face discourages smoking without being dogmatic, and I have seen quite a few people there quit smoking on their own time. And they benefit just as much as the witlesses.

There is the story about a couch potato that quit eating and started going out in field circus, and lost 40 pounds. However, more people get fat when they go in than get thin, and people can lose weight simply by walking a whole hour a day without stopping to knock on doors. And it will be healthier for them.

I see nothing good about an organization that prevents children from getting a decent education, promotes morals that do nothing but create problems where none exist, sticks its nose in every activity its members do, protects pedophiles with its policies, puts up a huge maze against people getting married or leaving abusive spouses, requires people to waste huge amounts of time in field circus, and sucks the fun out of living. I would rather simply not have any organization at all than be in this slaveholdery.

• llbh
    llbh

you just lost me David...

Isn't he talking about the Wt being good? His wife thinks even though there are some bad things its still the best place to be in the Wt???

Is that what your saying password

Sorry i did not realise that was what was being spoken about

David

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

the comment about christendom was interesting. I have visited some other churches and it always seemed to me the folks going to the churches were happier to be there - because no heavy burdens were put on their shoulders is my guess. Protestant churches. I don't know anything about catholicism.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

My wife says that, while she can see the negative stuff, the good outweighs the bad. Anyone else feel like this? It depends on your circumstances. If you are a jw who is married to an abusive spouse, even a dangerously abusive one, you are not free to remarry. If you are a child who had the misfortune of attracting the attention of a jw pedophile and you don't have a second witness, (either in person or physical evidence) or the the pedophile chooses not to confess, you must wait on Jehovah for remedy. If you are the type of person who enjoys independent thought and the freedom to live your life according your own conscience, then you will suffer oppression. If you and your spouse object to the WTB&TS's presence in your bedroom, then you will suffer. If you feel and want to express natural love to friends and relatives who have da'd or been df'd, regardless of their circumstances, you will have big problems. If you or a loved one needs a life saving blood transfusion, you will be coerced into refusing it. So, let's see: jws live under the tyranny of 12 old guys who DO NOT live in the real world and make arbitrary rules. Is there any good in that at all? Are you happy to have someone else make life and death decisions for you? Do you rejoice that there are or may be people who you care about with whom you will not be allowed to associate? Can you stomach the fact that people among you are permitted to abuse women and children without refrain? What is it exactly that attracts and retains anyone to the WTB&TS? Does it make you happy to know that your whole life is based on what other people think? Does it make sense to have someone else dictate to you how to have a relationship with your Creator? Only you can decide. As for me, I'll have none of it. There is not one single good thing I can think of related to being a jw. Even the brotherhood to which they belong is based on approval from the governing body. God gave free will, and the WTB&Ts takes it away.

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

For it to be really 'good' it would have to benefit you even if you left, and I know of no 'good' in the WTS that is of any use outside the WTS that can't be gotten much easier outside the WTS.

If you are determined to stay 'in' you can find some things you may think are good, but it comes at the cost of your freedom, conscience, relationship with God, dignity, honesty, and often your family.

Being 'in' I learned a lot of things.

How to be an obnoxious public speaker, ignoring bad academic references and objections, how to defend lies using the scriptures, how to stop my own thought process before it goes far enough to cause dissonance, that the leadership of my group was synonymous with God himself, how to 'study' by regurgitating what is is the paragraph, how to treat others like solid-waste and justify it fron a pseudo-bible... Oh, and I learned a semblance of moral behavior.

Since I have come out, NONE of this has been of any service to me whatsoever!

Maybe this is purely anecdotal, but I think ex JW's are far more likely to be atheists than the population as a whole, so if this is an accurate statement, it can be said they are turning people away from God.

I know that I certainly had never been properly introduced to God during my time in the Spiritual Charnal House and could easily have missed out if I had not sought Him.

The much vaunted 'learning' I received within the wanktower was in relation to THEIR doctrine using THEIR interpretation of THEIR 'bible' and was a total wash. I have had to start over at a disadvantage as I have had to unlearn a bunch of garbage before I can even start fresh!

The 'moral behavior' could have been learned better from the Bible itself without all the weasely 'outs' the WTS permits, like ignoring child abuse because there is only one witness, lying with sanction, treating others like filth because THEY say so...

I can understand that she wants to believe this, and she sounds like a very sincere person, but it is just her way of stopping her thought process before reaching a point of dissonance.

They are self-policing.

RD

• nurse09
    nurse09

How can good outweigh the bad if the whole thing is a sham? JW religion is false. They teach twisted scripture and then use it to control their followers minds and lives. How can they really be true people of God and preach such hate? Jesus loved everyone, and died for everyone. He did not sit back and say "Well, you are not a JW so I cannot be your friend. I also cannot help you in your time of need. Sorry!"

I will tell you that I received more love from those in "Christiandom" than I did when I was going to the kingdom hall amongst all of the "brothers and sisters"

So in this light...... the good does not outweigh the bad in the case of JW's

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I was going to go with David on this one. That was my initial thought - that even though there are "bad" things happening out there in the world, there is also much goodness/kindness. It's just that the bad seems to make headlines while the good deeds go unmentioned. Even in bad you must see the good. And if you can look beyond good and bad you'll realise that there isn't good/bad/right/wrong, but that is difficult for our human to accept.

As for the Tower - even there I've chosen to take something good from my expereinces there.

All religion pretty much have good in them not just the JWs - most others do more humanitarian work.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The way I look at it, there is good and bad everywhere, even in the Watchtowe Society. The next question, is the society the best that is out there?

Not even close.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit