To ex-JW's who became real "Christians"

by startingover 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

What the hell is a : real christian any way? who desides? Some preacher? Some bible text taken out of context and of often vague meanings to our generation?

As far as hell well that;s anybodies best guess and often the prevailling views borrowed from the cultures around them would be a start at understanding what the different writers thought when they used the term roughly equivalent to our word hell. It definately will vary with time and place writen.

• wildfell
    wildfell

I agree with justhuman.

I do not believe in a literal hell. I never did, even when I was being taught the concept as a child at a Catholic school. Does not coincide with what I intellectually and emotionally know about God.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

It's fascinating to observe how such beliefs have evolved, tempered by the reason that secular humanism brings to the discussion.

No major sect, Catholic or Protestant, was teaching the Hellfire doctrine as metaphor two hundred years ago.

This watering down of the flames of Hell that has occurred in Christendom is strikingly similar to the phenomenon of new light we all decry within Watchtower doctrine.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

We still preach it in my church, and we don't water it down. If they ever start watering it down, I will walk out. I don't believe in new light, I believe in the old time gospel.

This reminds me of a Watchtower article a few years ago with the front page caption--- what happened to hell?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

JG,

And science is the devils pitch fork by which he misleds the masses who don't believe striaght to hell that will never be put out.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    It is the place where God is not.

From a theistic standpoint, I could hardly think of a more blasphemous definition.

The best modern reinterpretations (imo), heard from both Catholic and Protestant theologians, are rather along the lines of God's presence painfully overcoming resistance -- the "fire" being nothing but divine love becoming all in all. The flip side of bliss, as it were.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well science can't prove or disprove of hell, no one will know until after death.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I work with a lesbian and a gay male, and both of them I enjoy working with, and if anyone ever tried to mistreat them, they would have to answer to me, and believe me, I wouldn't allow it not for one second.
    We still preach it in my church, and we don't water it down. If they ever start watering it down, I will walk out. I don't believe in new light, I believe in the old time gospel.

I'm confused, Dave.

You are opposed to someone mistreating your gay coworkers, but you're good with God burning them in Hell eternally?

• Mulan
    Mulan

I believe it is a fictional place, dreamed up to frighten people into believing..............whatever.

Ridiculous! I can't believe any of you actually believe it's real.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

It is simple, I will leave it up to God do the judging, In the meantime I will treat other people with respect, especially those that have treated me the same..

nothing confusing to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit