The Most Tasteless Awake Cover ?? - Feb 8th 2003

by BluesBrother 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

alt

This magazine was disturbing to me at the time, but I lost track of it and only recently found it . This is exactly as it was printed, no Photo Shop, I am not that clever.

it is credited to a newsagency, Jan Banning , Panos Pictures - so I do believe that she was a real child prostitute

There is something that gets to me even now about this picture. The kid looks so guilty! take note of the gaudy dress, the big ear rings and her pudgy pre puberty arms . She is a child living in a horrible world. I hate to think what she could tell.

Time has not diminished my disgust at this cover. By using her to sell their magazines , I maintain that that WTS are also contributing to her abuse. Although they roundly condemn the practice, they do nothing to alleviate the plight of girls like her. The mag says that "instead of human efforts another means will get rid of these problems, God's Kingdom." So sit back, do nothing and place these mags...

• james_woods
    james_woods

If this is not it, then what about one (I think it was on the cover of the Awake) that had pictures of young Witness kids that had died from not having blood transfusions. It pictured them as heroes for God.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The eyes are the window to the soul, so it's said. What do you see in this child's eye?

• snowbird
    snowbird

If this is not it, then what about one (I think it was on the cover of the Awake) that had pictures of young Witness kids that had died from not having blood transfusions. It pictured them as heroes for God.

May 22, 1994

• minimus
    minimus

That 1994 one was worse!

I wonder if Watchtower paid the girl anything for her picture....

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

"instead of human efforts another means will get rid of these problems, God's Kingdom."

Same stance about pedophilia within the congregation. Wait on Jehovah.

At least they condemn prostitution (while making no effort to stop it - easy to be no part of the world, eh?). Maybe because money is changing hands. With pedophilia, well, that doesn't really have any long lasting effects on the kids, does it?

• VM44
    VM44

Who picks the cover stories for the Awake? They should be fired.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I agree - this is definately an actionable firing offense for the editor of a pseudo-religious magazine. Although Awake covers were often chosen for salacious thrill value more than good taste. VD - Is it for Christians?

My gawd - can you imagine how terribly embarrased a somewhat enlightened JW would be who is sent out with this trash to show to people on their front doorsteps?

I know for a fact that when I was a pioneer - such stuff as this would get deep sixed into the old car trunk and I would be using the extras from the previous issues while waiting for the following issues.

You know, as bad as the poor third-world girl looks to be off in that picture, she would be far worse off if she were a witness who either had an abusing relative or should need a blood transfusion.

• Dagney
    Dagney
    Who picks the cover stories for the Awake? They should be fired.

Wouldn't THAT be nice! **sigh** You know, it seems so absurd looking back. "Did I really take that mag to the door and place it?" I know on some I was uncomfortable with I just turned to an inside article and presented that.

• Alexia
    Alexia

The worst one was the abortion article (1993?) “Making and Taking of a Life” I think it was called. I don’t have access to a photo of it, but I thought it was really disgusting and sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit