The American Flag, JWs and Me

by Casper 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Casper
    Casper

imissmaine,

Thank you for your understanding...

I noticed my Dfed brother has a flag in his yard now. He shows respect for the poor soldiers who have fought in wars

Undecided,

I agree with your brother, I feel I only show respect for the flag and what it represents... I certainly never worshipped it. Their reasoning on that issue never made any sense to me.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

That's terrible! Should have left it in the cuboard totally not needed at all.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

sorry you had to do that... I guess that token from a grateful nation meant nothing for the witness you studied with.

It wont feed the bull dog .. but I will give a moment of silent prayer to honor your fallen husband

Wrong.... they are so wrong

Jeff

• Casper
    Casper

Witness007,

I wish I had kept my mouth shut when she asked if I had anything...lol. I'm sure she knew, she had stopped by the funeral home, and knew it was to be a Military funeral... Maybe that's why she brought it up...

It wont feed the bull dog .. but I will give a moment of silent prayer to honor your fallen husband

Wrong.... they are so wrong

Thank You, Hillbilly...

That was a kind thing to say and do...

No it meant nothing to her... In her eyes it was EVIL... maybe she was overly zealous...She is still going strong..!!

I agree it was wrong... I don't think in even my "Strongest" witness moments, that I could have insisted on such a thing. Weren't we "SUPPOSE" to let the studies "CONSCIENCE" guide them in such matters...????

Cas

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

What a sickening thing for her to have pushed on you!

Such a small-minded, petty, backbiter!

After all these years, after all I've seen...

Stories such as this still have the capacity to give me pause.

I just have to stop and shake my head.

This is just a suggestion, but maybe you can find a measure of peace by "replacing" it.

Those flags are available brand new online, and you can take it to his grave and say a few words.

Explaining, as much to yourself as to any supernatural presence, how the event has hurt you, how much you regret what she misled you to do.

It can obviously never be a true replacement, but maybe it can help dull the outrage and regrets.

Just saying, is all, YMMV.

RD

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

shows how superstitious they are. You have blood guilt if you have a flag? Nonsense. On the one hand, they'll say you shouldn't worship the flag, it's just a symbol, a piece of cloth, on the other hand they freak out uncontrollably if you actually have one. Superstitious, afraid of symbols. I'm sorry you lost something dear to you because of the JWs. I imagine a lot of folks have given up precious little things because of JW superstition.

• Casper
    Casper

RD,

Great suggestion, I just may do that...

I too have read things on this board over the last few years that have made me do a double take... Just when you think you've heard it all, something worse or more strange comes along...

Hortensia,

Is that what it is, a superstition ? I never really understood their reasoning, I just thought... "They" thought, I was worshipping it.

That's what she told me, that I couldn't give it away, because I would be "Blood Guilty", that doesn't even make sense..., I was too new and distraught at the time to really figure that one out.

I guess, it's not really the flag itself so much anymore, but that I allowed myself to be treated in such a manner...I was pressured into doing something against my will... and I just went along with it like an idiot...

Never Again...!!

Cas

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

You're right, it does NOT make sense!

Blood guilty?

How bizarre!

It really is a superstition, the JW's are one of the most superstitious people's I know of, they fear demons attached to garage sale stuff, avoid the word "luck" (covered dish, good fortune) they stopped calling a bulletin board by its proper name because of the origins of the term...

All the while loudly proclaiming how only the world is superstitious!

Good riddance, I say.

RD

• james_woods
    james_woods

Excuse me, but isn't it against the law to deface an American Flag?

I mean - if the JW make such a big deal about "Obeying Caeser" unless it creates an effective act of sin - wouldn't it be best to just put the flag away on the top shelf of the closet, or maybe give it to some other non-witness relative?

That petty scene of chopping it up in little pieces is just as bad as the draft dodgers at some 60s Viet Name demonstration.

• Casper
    Casper

James_woods,

I completely agree with you... as I said in my opening post :

I remember crying as we did it...wondering if this was even legal..???

I knew that burning it was wrong, I wasn't sure about the other. I didn't seem to matter to her tho.

Cas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit