The American Flag, JWs and Me

by Casper 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Casper
    Casper

Hubby and I put a 17' flag pole up today, proudly flying the American flag ...

A major witness no no.....lol

This caused me to remember my first "incident" with a flag and JWs...

I had just gotten back from Oklahoma, after my first husband had died... he was in the AF when this happened, so had a Military funeral. They gave me the American flag, as is customary in such situations.

I had resumed my studies again...

My study conductor was on the subject of patriotism and asked if I had anything with the flag on it, I told her about the flag the AF had given me. She "Freaked" and told me that I had to get rid of it "pronto"...

She wanted me to burn it, I totally refused, for one thing, it represented something important to me besides my country.

She kept harping on it week after week. With the frame of mind I was in at the time, I told her I would give it away, but not burn it. That wasn't good enough, she didn't want me to be "Blood Guilty"...

She told me that we would have to cut it up and dispose of it in the trash. Finally she wore me down, as they have a way of doing, when you aren't thinking straight.

This was a very large flag, so there we sat, both of us with scissors cutting this beautiful flag into approx. 3" squares. I remember crying as we did it...wondering if this was even legal..???

I look back on that now and it makes me sick to my stomach, such major "BullS**t", and a loss of something that I can never replace. That incident still saddens me to this day, if I allow myself to think on it...

Just wanted to share that, and show another example of ... JW "Extremism"...

Cas

• flipper
    flipper

CASPER- Wow ! What a controlling study conductor you had ! Jeez. I'm so sorry she tried to control you like that by insisting you " burn " the flag. I bet you did feel lousy after cutting the flag up. This is my big issue with all religions in general- too much absolute control of rank and file members. The Jw's any religion I truly believe. Guess that's why I'm not religious ! LOL! I can't STAND being controlled by anything or anybody ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• ataloa
    ataloa

Oh, Casper, your story makes me sick at my stomach, too. I can't believe she sat there and made you do it. Talk about trespassing all over someone.

A similar thing happened to me. She didn't make me do it, but made sure I knew that a valuable possession I had was wrong. I agonized over that so long, and then I threw it in the trash. It turned out to be the most valuable thing I had. It meant so much to me. Now, I feel like crying.

• carla
    carla

I'm so sorry, what a wretched story.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

((((Casper))))

I'm so sorry you went through that. It's so sad!!!

• Casper
    Casper

Mr. Flipper,

Ya know, I didn't even think about the "Control" aspect of it, until you mentioned it. I have conducted some studies myself, and I don't think I could have insisted they give up something of value to them as she did. I would think more along the lines of when they learn more and are ready, they will give it up themselves...

Ataloa,

I am so sorry you also experienced something similar... my heart goes out to you... some items are to be treasured for what they really represent to us. Not some made up reasoning pushed upon us by a religion.

Carla and Babygirl,

Thank you both for your understanding...

I feel she was being extreme, the whole deal was unnecessary...

Just one of those memories, that never goes away... just gets shelved.

Cas

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

This is one of the saddest things I have ever heard. So sorry about your loss.

• Casper
    Casper

Thank you, Chickennest,

I feel it was very cold hearted of her, and I was so nieve...

I should have just thrown a fit and refused, if I knew then, what I know now, things would have been alot different...

Cas

• imissmaine
    imissmaine

That really is just sad. Sorry Casper :(

• Undecided
    Undecided

I noticed my Dfed brother has a flag in his yard now. He shows respect for the poor soldiers who have fought in wars. Mankind is so stupid to fight each other, but I guess they learned it from their Gods.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit