What would you do if you knew...

by loosie 55 Replies latest jw experiences

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    Gee just a little bit touchy Cog, did I hit a sore spot ?

Not at all JG. No sore spot. I simply believe that sexual relationships are the business of the people who are having them and no one has to answer to any other onlooker's demands for information. If I were to demand to know any of your sexual business as if I had some moral right to it and to inform any of your family members that "I" thought should know, then I would expect you would tell me to "sod off" also, and rightly so! That sort of belief that we ought to police one another's private sexual behaviour or that we have to answer other people's questions about our own, seems like a very strong remnannt of watchtower-ish thinking to me.

As a mature adult, I understand I don't have to consult with elders, nor work mates about who I choose to sleep with. I don't have to answer to anyone about my sexual behaviour other than my husband who I made a vow to. When we made our vows we certainly never contracted with any third parties and asked them to police our vows for us and interven if they saw us breaking them. If I choose to volunteer to anyone else, that is my perogative, although why they would want to know is beyond me? They certainly have no right to know and if they presumed that they did by confronting me and demanding more info, I would answer as I posted above. Cog
  • Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I think you are right to a point, however when a 3rd party is involved such as a spouse, I believe they have the right to know, especially with all of the diseases that are running around these days.

• Sirona
    Sirona

For me its a lack of social responsibility NOT to tell

People nowadays have no compassion for others or desire for something to be "just"

Cheating on your spouse is morally wrong and if you don't want to get found out, don't do it!

It is important that people care enough about the victims of this selfishness enough to act.

Its all ok saying its none of our business...well it is our business to help someone out who is being made a fool of and who is being put in physical danger (std's etc). Also people wasting their loyalty and their life on someone who is a cheating b*stard.

I've been at both ends of the spectrum....when I was single (and newly divorced and screwed up) I had a very brief affair with a married man and I deeply regret it BUT I WISH SOMEONE HAD TOLD THE WIFE because this guy was promising me he was leaving her and never did. At least if the wife had found out the whole thing would have come to a head and been sorted out and I would not have been led a merry dance by the guy.

I've also been in the position where my husband left for another woman and I hated the idea that people knew and I'd been made a fool of.

Sirona

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

good reply Sirona

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    I would blackmail him for his playstation 3.....if he didn't have a playstation 3.....I would ask for his nintendo wii.......if he only had a gamecube.......he would be toast......merceninja.......(disclaimer......ninja likes all computer consoles....yes even a commodore 64!!)......only thing I don't like?......nvr....he he....ninjas inevitable monthly dig at nvr

lisa

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    People nowadays have no compassion for others or desire for something to be "just"

What is considered "just" changes from culture to culture and with varying moral perspectives in our own culture. Not everyone considers it compassionate to tell someone their spouse is cheating on them. Some people consider it interfering.

Cheating on your spouse is morally wrong and if you don't want to get found out, don't do it!

Some people have open marriages and agree that they can both sleep with other people. Since they don't view this as morally wrong, and they both agreed to it, then it's not cheating. How does this woman know what arrangement the husband and wife might have privately? She admits she doesn't know them that well. Perhaps they are swingers? Perhaps the wife has a boyfriend too and the husband is OK with it? My point is that it's a gross assumption to believe that all married people have the same sexual views in marriage as we do and have to follow our "rules" about it.

It is important that people care enough about the victims of this selfishness enough to act.

Again, "victim" is a characterization of the wife that she may not share about herself. There are many kinds of selfishness in marriage many have nothing to do with sex.

Its all ok saying its none of our business...well it is our business to help someone out who is being made a fool of and who is being put in physical danger (std's etc). Also people wasting their loyalty and their life on someone who is a cheating b*stard.

One cannot be made a fool of by another person. One can only make a fool of oneself. "Physical danger" is another gross assumption. We do not know the disease state of the persons involved (if any) or what protective measures they use. There is no reason we should know. It's none of our business unless we are planning to have sex with them.

I've been at both ends of the spectrum....when I was single (and newly divorced and screwed up) I had a very brief affair with a married man and I deeply regret it BUT I WISH SOMEONE HAD TOLD THE WIFE because this guy was promising me he was leaving her and never did. At least if the wife had found out the whole thing would have come to a head and been sorted out and I would not have been led a merry dance by the guy.

I can't help noticing that you don't say you wish someone had told the wife out of unselfish concern for her victimhood. You wish someone told the wife so that you would not have been led a merry dance. Ironic!

I've also been in the position where my husband left for another woman and I hated the idea that people knew and I'd been made a fool of.

I suggest that your husband made a fool of himself by his dishonesty, not of you. Being worried what other people think of you is about "ego image" and has nothing to do with "justice" or "morals". Many people confuse the two in their attempts to rationalize their behaviour.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit