A letter to my parents

by mrsjones5 24 Replies latest social family

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm sending a package to my parents and am including a letter. Tell me what you think.

"Mom and Dad,

This is a list of what is contained in this box:

1 pair of shoes, 5 boxes of Girl Scout Cookies, 1 T-Shirt, 1 See's coffee mug, 2 Awake magazines with information attached.

I am returning and sending items that were left at my house. I did not withhold the cookies. I simply forgot to give them to Mother. I did not take the See's mug. That mug was sent to us along with other items when you moved from San Carlos to Rocklin. Since you believe I took it, you can have it back. I don't need it.

I will not apologize since I did nothing wrong. I was not the one who behaved badly and I don't have to put up with that kind of behavior...not even from my parents. If you wish to believe that since I am your daughter that you can treat me any kind of way you like including being rude and disrespectful then we should not have any further contact. I find it funny that you Mother boasted of how you were able to avoid having any run-ins while visiting my sister but failed to handle me the same way. Maybe you think you're safe to disrespect me with small slights and minor rudeness. You're not and I won't stand for it anymore...I've dealt with it long enough and am not willing to do it anymore.

I'm returning the Awakes that my son politely and respectfully accepted but in reality he doesn't want them. And likewise I don't want them in my house. I will never try to persuade you to leave the witnesses and I will try not to say anything negative in your presence but that life is not for me and my kids. I would appreciate it if you not give my children anymore of the watchtower material. If you try to go around me and go against my wishes the magazines and/or books will be sent back or destroyed.

We can go on from this but I see now that I have to be more firm in my boundaries with you. So this is the point: You need to treat me the same way you treat my sister...with kid gloves. That means you need to be on your best behavior and if you have anything mean or rude to say...don't say it...say it for later when you two are by yourselves...I don't need to hear it and I don't have the patience for it. I was taught this by my parents along time ago that if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all."

Oh, they won't like it but they will have to deal with it.

Josie

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Wow Josie....It sound like you guys had a big blow out over these items!

You have a right to stand up for yourself & your family. There's no reason they should be rude or disrespectful to you. They should treat you the same as your sister, who I'm takin it is a JW? Hope the letter will make them realize how awful they've been and hopefully you can rekindle a relationship with your parents.

Wish you the best!!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It wasn't a big blow up really...just more of a cycle my mother goes through. She always has to be in the outs with one of her kids and it's my turn. Won't last long. And no my sister isn't a jw. She has a quick temper and a very sharp tongue and my mother handles her with kid gloves so not to set her off...which I think is very funny cuz in temperment they are very close to being alike.

• wings
    wings

Very good letter....you stood up for yourself and your family. You remained respectful also.

I really will bring you a coffee cup.....you are so special, sorry you have to go through this

wings

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Your turn, huh? Sounds like she has to have some kind of drama going on at all times...

How is your hubby? I think of him and hope he is doing better now. Did they ever come up with a diagnosis?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Dear Mrs. Jones,

I have enjoyed your posts for I think over a year now-I have come to really like you, and I have seen you go through things in your life that I know are difficult. I admire you, and your strength and love for all your family.

I wish we were neighbors, I'd have you over for tea and tell you all the nutty things my mom does-just so you know you are in good company:)

If you feel like you can trust me, PM me with your address. My little girl (ok, 17) has been taking some art classes at college and she is BIG into pottery these days. I'd like to send you one of her early efforts-so you remember that we all have families, and we get it, and know that they love us and seem to enjoy tormenting us at the same time:) And we did it to our parents and will do it to our kids:) BTW, This teenager thing is no picnic. You think your parents are making you nuts! Just wait! (Aren't I a comfort:) <G> !)

Love,
    Shelly

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thank you Wings, you know that way to this girl's heart coffee. You're special too!

Yes my mother is a drama mama but we're wise to her games now. Hubby has his good days and bad. I live for the good days and try to get him through the bad. He's been ok the last few days, not as much pain. Been sexy and romantic too. My birthday was a good day.

Josie

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

lol.... 5 boxes of Girl Scout Cookies......that should put the icing in the cake

hope4others

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hi Shelly,

Thank you for the post, it's so nice to know that I really matter to folks here on the board. This crazy place is a spot of sanity for me. I will send you a pm. Thanks for the heads up on teenagers, it's kinda comforting to know it only gets worst from here *snarf* Right now my 14yo is driving me crazy about his girlfriend and I have a premenstrual 10yo daughter who's no picnic. Lord help me

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Hey, your JW parents will eat girl scout cookies? Buy them? My mom will eat them on a plate-but not out of the box:)

LOL.

Shelly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit