Do you think the guys in the Governing Body belive in the Governing Body?

by Samuel Thorsen 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Samuel Thorsen
    Samuel Thorsen

I presume they do. They are probably so intoxicated by their own power that they belive in the never ending rubbish.

Or am I wrong? Is there other reasons to stay on the top of the hill?

• Eh
    Eh

I would guess it's a mixed bag. You could have some who really believe it on a base level, some who are deluding themselves, and some that think it's a complete crock. It would be hard to guess percentages, but it would surprise me greatly if they were all the same in their thinking.

I have a friend (and relative) who's a JW. He enjoys attention, but doesn't like to whore for it. He's a sucker for a compliment, but he doesn't show off. Outside of some woodworking projects, he doesn't have a whole lot going for himself that would gather in the accolades. I think that if I understood him better when we were growing up, I would have been more quick to compliment him.

Anyway, when he comments at a meeting "in his own words" (basically running some previously written text through a mental thesaurus or regurgitating the wording from the last time the point was discussed) he gets all the attention he needs. Every other week he gets up in front of the crowd and performs a simple five minute speech or runs through a fill-in-the-blank announcement form and receives heaps of kudos on a job well done.

He was thinking about Pioneering and when he would mention it he got even more attention. He went for it. Although it's just riding around in a car for 70 hours a month, he gets incredible commendation for it.

He's got one of those low-brow jobs that JW's usually have. It's not the kind of job that gets you much credit. No one's singing his praises at work.

So how is he ever expected to leave the group? He'll never receive the level acclaim he's currently getting for doing so little - no matter what he does in life. One hundred people telling him every week through words, and looks, and applause that he's just the greatest thing ever and all he has to do is lower his head and say, "Jehovah, Heavenly father, we come to you now to give thanks for the..."

So I talk to him. I try to feel him out. He's a smart guy. What's he doing in this group (And no, I'm not saying JW, dumb, ex-JW, smart)? And I don't know if I'll ever find out if he's for real. Is he doing it for the attention and knows it? Is he deluded? Does he really believe? The outputs are the same no matter what the answer is. And I have no reason to believe it's not the same at the very highest level.

Ray Franz. He was in the Governing Body. He was in and believed it - he was in and didn't believe it. Why wouldn't it be the same for any given member at any given time?

• Switch
    Switch

I think each GB member only sees a portion of things going on in the Society, so any imperfections or issues that aren't being taken care of, they probably have the same thinking as the rest of the JW's - that is - God will take care of things in His time. I'm doubting that even a fraction of them are knowledgeable of the WT's history, Biblical discrepancies/errors, or misquoting sources in the articles. Do you think any of those men ever go near a computer or internet?

I don't know how they can believe they are guided by holy spirit and I wonder how they can change "understandings" and not have doubts themselves when it's apparent that they are only making guesses, reverting to old understandings, or inputting personal opinions. It seems ludicrous. But if it's the only thing you know, then it's amazing at what you can get accustomed to. I was basically raised in so I'm still shaking my head in bewilderment at how I accepted things for so long without knowing any better.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Samuel:

I was having this discussion with a family member earlier this week. We came to the conclusion that the ones at the very top just HAVE TO KNOW it's all a crock; they're the ones who have access to and keep hidden all the secret files and dusty 'classified' reports, and they must have just about seen it all and then some.

But just below them, you've probably got a mixture - some who are on to the shpiel but can't or won't come clean, some who are 'stuck' in physically but out mentally, and some who are super believers.

Anyhow, I have to say Eh, that looking back on 40+ years in the 'group', you couldn' have said it better!

I have a friend (and relative) who's a JW. He enjoys attention, but doesn't like to whore for it. He's a sucker for a compliment, but he doesn't show off. Outside of some woodworking projects, he doesn't have a whole lot going for himself that would gather in the accolades. I think that if I understood him better when we were growing up, I would have been more quick to compliment him.

Anyway, when he comments at a meeting "in his own words" (basically running some previously written text through a mental thesaurus or regurgitating the wording from the last time the point was discussed) he gets all the attention he needs. Every other week he gets up in front of the crowd and performs a simple five minute speech or runs through a fill-in-the-blank announcement form and receives heaps of kudos on a job well done.

He was thinking about Pioneering and when he would mention it he got even more attention. He went for it. Although it's just riding around in a car for 70 hours a month, he gets incredible commendation for it.

He's got one of those low-brow jobs that JW's usually have. It's not the kind of job that gets you much credit. No one's singing his praises at work.

So how is he ever expected to leave the group? He'll never receive the level acclaim he's currently getting for doing so little - no matter what he does in life. One hundred people telling him every week through words, and looks, and applause that he's just the greatest thing ever and all he has to do is lower his head and say, "Jehovah, Heavenly father, we come to you now to give thanks for the..."

It is so sad that this about describes the life of the average JW...but they are oblivious to the dronelike quality of their lives until the lightbulb in their own head finally switches on! What a rude awakening.

And the guys at the top should have to answer for what they've done to generations of untapped talent and 'gifts in men' (and women, too). Just my 2c.

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

Nope

They know the score

• DNCall
    DNCall

Although awareness varies from member to member of the GB, I'm quite sure they all believe that they are a most privileged part of "Jehovah's Organization" and the "Faithful and Discreet Slave" class. They are in love with the traditions and lore of those who have preceded them in their position. They are "humbled" by the priviledge of carrying on the tradition, adding their contributions to it, and expanding "Kingdom Interests."

This is the concept to which they are captive. It's not about them believing in themselves.

DNCall

• james_woods
    james_woods

I always wondered why they had to have that rule of "two third's majority" instead of a simple majority for the votes. If they were truly spirit directed, wouldn't just the simple majority do, or even better, wouldn't all votes be unanimous?

I have never forgotten that shameful rambling senile BS that Al Schroeder gagged up about "these apostates say the follow the bible - but they ignore the great body of Watchtower LAW that the Society has developed over the years!"

I have also never forgotten how much Freddie Franz hated this arrangement - it was obviously done to limit his powers after the failed 1975 whimsy - and obviously done because they thought Freddie was well into his dodies. Some say the 2/3 rule was so he and his majority cronie click could not sway each and every vote.

I think it is now run by a power click of 3 or 4, and that many of the newbies are suckups who blow with whatever the prevailing wind happens to be - the wind mostly being called by the legal group on real issues.

• Super Nova
    Super Nova

I think a few do.

• james_woods
    james_woods

OH - YES - they probably do actually believe it. Probably couldn't fake all the phony proceedings if they didn't.

I would even go so far to say that most of the "new annointed" actually convinced themselves into a belief that they really were so.

But then, I think that David Berkowitcz was probably convinced that his neighbor's mastiff Sam was actually talking to him and telling him to kill people with that 44 magnum, too.

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

Years ago I believe the GB thought they were Gods tool for acomplishing his purpose on earth. You had Knor the great organizer and Franz the theologian. But in truth today all they are is a more powerful Body of Elders. They have elders meetings nothing more nothing less.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit